Iowa Blues - Breed thread and discussion

Also, how you you all handle the winter as far as collecting eggs go? Even if I collected morning and evening I know they would still freeze by the time I got out there. I'm thinking about insulating and putting hay in the nesting boxes so they don't roll out (roll away type)....

Merry Christmas to all!

0.jpg
Too cute! Thanks for sharing!

This boy is just over 6 months old. He still has some "loose wings" going on, but otherwise what do you think of him? I don't remember his weight off the top of my head, but he is bulky.

He usually holds his head just a smidge higher than this, but that is his natural tail set

Just for kicks, this is what he looked like at 3 months old:
It's a little tough to tell much from these pictures. I like his comb and wattles, but I can't tell how many points he has. He looks like he has a strong wide back, and like the boy I got from Denny, he still has some filling out to do. My boy is also growing out of the wing problem he had.

Also, how you you all handle the winter as far as collecting eggs go? Even if I collected morning and evening I know they would still freeze by the time I got out there. I'm thinking about insulating and putting hay in the nesting boxes so they don't roll out (roll away type)....
Last year I used electric seedling starter mats in the bottom of my nest box. They are waterproof and I used one long one in the bottom of 2 nest boxes. Right now I have a broody, so I don't need one. Everyone lays in her basket and she keep them warm for me.

http://www.menards.com/main/lawn-ga...propagation-heating-mat/p-1730057-c-10125.htm

Sometimes it's cheaper to by the starter kit.

Too cute! Thanks for sharing!

It's a little tough to tell much from these pictures. I like his comb and wattles, but I can't tell how many points he has. He looks like he has a strong wide back, and like the boy I got from Denny, he still has some filling out to do. My boy is also growing out of the wing problem he had. 

Last year I used electric seedling starter mats in the bottom of my nest box. They are waterproof and I used one long one in the bottom of 2 nest boxes. Right now I have a broody, so I don't need one. Everyone lays in her basket and she keep them warm for me.

http://www.menards.com/main/lawn-ga...propagation-heating-mat/p-1730057-c-10125.htm

Sometimes it's cheaper to by the starter kit. 

That sounds like a good idea, I'll be on the lookout.
I hope he grows out of the wing thing, but there's worse problems that I could be dealing with I guess!
Connie your birds are looking wonderful! We had a break in the cold today so the majority our snow is gone, leaving us with a sloppy mess not so great for photoshoots.

Connie,

Love the pictures :) Our IaBs are the only ones that rush out of the coop right into the snow, the others are much more nervous about snow. How many different birds did you photograph above?

I've got about 6 cockerels in the juvenile pen growing out that I'm not liking the looks of at all: squirrel tails, light eyes and legs, etc. I'm going to give them a bit yet, but what is the best weight/age to butcher them? I think they're about 3ish months now.

On a lighter note, I'm firing up the incubators today for another hatching season! I've gotten about 2 dozen eggs from my 5 girls so far, the egg size has come up to being on the small size of a medium...

It's been great around here, Happy New Year everyone!

I've got about 6 cockerels in the juvenile pen growing out that I'm not liking the looks of at all: squirrel tails, light eyes and legs, etc. I'm going to give them a bit yet, but what is the best weight/age to butcher them? I think they're about 3ish months now.

On a lighter note, I'm firing up the incubators today for another hatching season! I've gotten about 2 dozen eggs from my 5 girls so far, the egg size has come up to being on the small size of a medium...

It's been great around here, Happy New Year everyone!
I wait as long as I can, but I usually wait until about 6 months. Just depends how filled out they are.

I set 39 eggs myself on Monday. I'm looking forward to a great new 2014 for the Iowa Bues!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom