Iowa Blues - Breed thread and discussion

Pics
Yes, I really like them Kari, I wish that I could take some now, but am laying out the new shed for them and the Icelandics right now, hopefully will get it done before the snow comes. If so, then it could be, but with a brooder in the cabin.
hmm.png

We'll see. I do like their looks.

You are right to cull the gold gene, its that or silver, no other choice.

That first 'old stock' pullet I really like.

How do these compare with the Sandhill stock?

Quote:
I've got 9 icelandics in the incubator right now. I don't know if I intend to do anything with them but I thought I'd try some out. Mine are from Woolfarm in WI.

Quote:
Thanks! Did you ever raise any chicks?

I didn't get them separated until the middle of September but I have some young ones. When I don't have the eggs sold I put them in the incubator.

I am trying hard to get these sheds w/runs built just so mine can be separate from the get go. I dont want to take any chances of a crossbred. I am going to have several breeds, all heritage homestead breeds, starting with the Icelandics and next the Iowa Blues. If I get the first done in time before snow hits I could see getting a few IBs or eggs. But it could mean them moving to their shed in the winter and I am dubious about that. Otoh, if it was only six or so, maybe they could stay in the cabin ovfer the winter, we'll see. Its sure tempting though.

I did not know, or had forgotten you guys started an IA Blue thread! Sheesh! Now I gots to go back through it and see what I missed!

Anyone compared an Iowa Blue to a Delaware Blue? Is there much difference?

Kari... is your cat an iowa Blue too?

Last edited:
I am seeing variation in the pullets body shapes, some of that could be from age differences, but it seems that I am seeing both brick and square bodies in the females. Which is the desired shape? I know what my RIRs and others were but whats being selected for in the IBs ?

Nice pics Kari, birds look a lot like the Ia. blues that I have hatched except most of mine are like your later hatches, I have quite a bit of diversity also, as I got one batch of eggs from Jacob in Illinois, and then got three batches off of e-bay from a couple in Louisiana, whom had gotten their originals from an old man in Mississippi, not sure which eggs hatched the brown chicks, but I think I have two pullets and two cockerels that really have alot of lacing, I would like to know which direction we should be heading with these birds, as far as livability, the Ia. blues were the best of all the shipped eggs that I got and even my own eggs that I hatched, I don't think I lost any Ia. blues once they were hatched. Would really be interested in what kind of standard that we need to breed to?????? If I can get my daughter to stop and stay home long enough to show me how to take pictures and post on here, I will try!!!

Last edited:
Anyone exhibiting a pair of Iowa Blues at the EIPA show? I am sure they could be entered under AOV or AOCCL. They might generate some great interest and be in line for a prize! (I'll save that for the show).....
cool.png

In addition, i want someone to take a pic of me holding one of those now year old chicks I spent so much time with!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom