Iowa Blues - Breed thread and discussion

If it helps, we're getting his with the same storm and it's snowing here too. Slushy stuff and the drive to work will take extra I'm betting! Took twice as long last night (an hour and a half!). I'm always surprised at the temp differences in this state between the SW/NW/NE/SE parts. You guys have had a tough winter, we've had a pretty mild one up till last night. Reading the newsletter makes me want to run out and get everyone separated! But I have to go to work. :p
We're getting that same monster snowmaker here in Michigan as well. Its not supposed to let up until about 7 in the morning, and I've already have probably taken about 8 inches off of our driveway before 6.
tongue.png

ya.gif
yippiechickie.gif
clap.gif
D.gif
thumbsup.gif
woot.gif
yesss.gif
celebrate.gif
wee.gif

Let's Hear It For Curt and the Newsletter!

What a great effort, Congratulations. Curt, I don't know how you will ever top this edition but if anyone can do it, I'm sure you can. Great participation from the members as well.

Beautiful snow pictures. I'm wondering, what breed are the chicks in the bottom picture?
They are Iowa Blues too. The color variation we call Smokey hatches this "pheasant chick" color.

ya.gif
yippiechickie.gif
clap.gif
D.gif
thumbsup.gif
woot.gif
yesss.gif
celebrate.gif
wee.gif

Let's Hear It For Curt and the Newsletter!

What a great effort, Congratulations. Curt, I don't know how you will ever top this edition but if anyone can do it, I'm sure you can. Great participation from the members as well.

Absolutely correct! If anyone is interested in helping me on the Standard Committee to get the breed into the APA, please contact me!

Thanks for all the feedback on the newsletter. One never knows how it'll be received until one makes the splash. My hope is that there is solid, usable content that allows the membership to implement at least some of what they are reading. I'm planning on starting a membership focus in the next edition so we all can start to learn more about each other, our flock goals, and our experiences.

*** If anyone at anytime has information they'd like to submit for review in the IBCC Bulletin, do send it my way. Maybe it's an experience you've had with one of your IB's. Maybe something one of your birds did that was noteworthy. And PICTURES. I'd like to have pictures to use in the bulletin that have not been posted elsewhere, so when everyone reads their bulletin there will be new images. It will help to keep things fresh and new.****

Don't think what you have to say is too small or not worth sharing. Sometimes even the smallest little story can have a big impact on others. So share with me the kind of things you want to see in your bulletin, and share your experiences!

Curt, I learned *so much* from the newsletter. I liked that it was a PDF too, more flexibility in reading devices.

The article that explained/compared APA, SPPA, and LC was fascinating, at least for a newbie. : ) I'd never heard of the SPPA, and hadn't ever thought of the relationship between APA and LC. The goals and timeline for the Club and APA approval really helped kind of visualize what the future holds in terms of tasks. And I always like to read about different breeding strategies. Even if I haven't divided my first birds into their breeding pens yet!

I know we discussed the online poultry show in Nov, but what about a section comparing/contrasting a good IA and a better IA? Or even what traits distinguish an IA from another breed or two. With pictures. Maybe that's geared towards the more novice breeder/shower, but that's kind of me. A first installment could be simply showing the best view of a chicken to try to get a photo of in order to do some preliminary evaluation! And maybe tips to do it that don't involve stalking your flock all over the place - or maybe you have to! Tips for photographing poultry might encourage us to practice and then we'd have more to send you too. Lol.

Can't wait to read the member focus pieces and get to know people with like birds. That'll be fun!

They are Iowa Blues too. The color variation we call Smokey hatches this "pheasant chick" color.

Absolutely correct! If anyone is interested in helping me on the Standard Committee to get the breed into the APA, please contact me!
Thanks for the clarification karimw.

I've read so much positive response on this thread to the newsletter that I sent $10 to the IBCC just to get a look at it.

Last edited:
Even in my established line, I'm still teasing out color and pattern variation. The introduction of some fresh Sandhill blood last year tossed the salad again, so to speak. There is so much floating around in this breed. It makes it fun, but it can be frustrating too. I even hatched a couple with white legs last summer.
barnie.gif

The Smokey on the left has the white legs (he was also born with a lump on his head that lops his comb over). Personally, I love the bright blue legs on the Smokey on the right.
love.gif

Still, I'm struggling with the willow legs in my hatches.
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom