Iowa Blues - Breed thread and discussion

After stumbling over the IB story one day online then reading a lot of this thread about the narrowed genetics I can't help but wonder if there is a flock of IB's out there that has survived the past 30 or 40 years hidden on some farm somewhere. I would think its more likely then we believe. I look back at all the birds I just walked on by without giving a glance as a kid. We grew up with farms and dairies all around and every single one had chickens and old timers on the porch.
Now I pay attention because a person never knows when or where that flock will show up or even if there is one out there but I still look and believe we should all pay closer attention seeking that hidden flock.

I had a really good talk with IowaBlueCurt about his meeting with Glenn Drowns. Its sounds as though he is behind us and endorses our proposed Standards!
clap.gif

Curt is putting a lot of effort into several projects. He's a super advocate of this breed! Thanks SOOOO much Curt!
thumbsup.gif
Way to go IBC!
clap.gif

After stumbling over the IB story one day online then reading a lot of this thread about the narrowed genetics I can't help but wonder if there is a flock of IB's out there that has survived the past 30 or 40 years hidden on some farm somewhere. I would think its more likely then we believe. I look back at all the birds I just walked on by without giving a glance as a kid. We grew up with farms and dairies all around and every single one had chickens and old timers on the porch.
Now I pay attention because a person never knows when or where that flock will show up or even if there is one out there but I still look and believe we should all pay closer attention seeking that hidden flock.
I absolutely agree, that's why I always ask the source! There are some gaps in the Iowa Blue history time line I'd like to learn more about. I honestly don't hold out much hope though. The Iowa Blues went through earlier resurgence in popularity in the 90's but they fell into obscurity again. Glenn tried very hard to find birds of the old line.

About the idea of some old timer with a flock of Iowa Blues just hanging around waiting discovery.......I believe it's definately possible. Since January I've hunted down 11 leads but so far have not been successful in locating original stock. So, I keep digging. The cool thing is that everytime I find someone, although they don't have birds, they do have memories/stories/pictures, etc. So it hasn't been all for naught!

Thanks for the kind words Kari and Dan! For others on the site, here's a list of some of my projects.

Setting up a breed brochure with the SPPA
Connecting with Feathersite to update the Iowa Blue infor/pics.
Looks like we'll Backyard Poultry is planning on doing a breed focus on the Iowa Blue tentatively in July/August
Discussing the process details to get the Iowa Blue admitted into the Slow Food's Ark of Taste (this can prove quite difficult and may take some time to get all of our ducks in a row).
Just completed a 49 page document called History and Characteristics of the Iowa Blue to document in one locations everything we know about the Iowa Blue.
I wanted to get the process details for SOP admittance hammered out. Kari mentioned that she'd be willing to head that up and I'm hopeful she'll have those details for our upcoming meeting.
Got a lot of ideas brewing for breed promotion with a breed club booth at the Eastern Iowa Poultry Association show for next year's show.
Connecting with Glenn Drowns again the end of June begining of July to learn more about his extensive involvement with the breed and squeeze out as many details as I can out of him. :)

Last night our power went out from 3:50-6:40am. We were just completing a hatch of mixed old english game bantams, but we got 37 of the 40 eggs hatched before the power gave out.
However, my other incubator had a clutch of 12 IB eggs which are due in three days and 16 eggs I just picked up from Kari yesterday. But, both my incubators are dickeys and they are quite tall. So, I stuck an oil lamb without the chimney at the bottom of my incubator with the IB eggs, and I pleased to report that the eggs expereinced a simple cool down similar to an egg roll cool down. They maybe spend 15 minutes under the 99.5 degrees! I feel very confidant that the eggs had no idea the electricity was off for nearly THREE hours!!!! Whew! Time will tell as to how successful my efforts were. Humidity never dropped below 49% during that short 15 minutes. More storms tonight so, Lord willing, the electricity will stay on. However, I was suprized at how easy it was to stablize the temp and humidity with an oil lamb. after about 20 ish minutes to adjusting the wick, I was able to stablize the temp/humidity at an even 100.2/52% for over two ours straight! Intersting huh?

Ok, I've got some pics of my Sandhill chicks, I'll post them right away.

Sorry, my pics are on a zip drive that I don't have with me at the moment!!! AAAAHH.
barnie.gif
Well, hopefully I can get them loaded up tomorrow. Sorry for the added suspense!

Good work Curt! I was/am a little nervous about the losing power too. Not nearly as worried as I was when we lost power for 5 hours last winter. Temp got down to 85 but I still had a good hatch.
hu.gif

I wanted to get the process details for SOP admittance hammered out. Kari mentioned that she'd be willing to head that up and I'm hopeful she'll have those details for our upcoming meeting.
Do you know Walt Leonard? He's head of the APA Standards Committee and posts on here as "fowlman01".

He's very helpful, I've known him since my DS was showing poultry in 4H in the early 90's.

We've followed through with the first portions of the requirements.

We're at the point now where we need to begin getting birds of standard to the shows.

Walt had also requested some photos of birds fitting the standard, which I believe we still need to submit.

We've followed through with the first portions of the requirements.

We're at the point now where we need to begin getting birds of standard to the shows.

Walt had also requested some photos of birds fitting the standard, which I believe we still need to submit.
Well, I already bathe and take 20-30 birds to each show. I can throw in an IB or two when I go to the shows this fall. I can make a point that Walt comes by
cool.png
I should have about 30 birds to sort through for next show season.

Back
Top Bottom