Irish Steel Cut Oats

for human food... I put them in the crock pot the night before..
1 cup oats to 2 cups water (I will do 1 cup water 1 cup milk to make it more creamy)
brown sugar and cinnamon to taste
1 apple coarsely chopped
1/2 cup raisins (optional)

put on low in the crock pot the night before and it will be ready come morning and they are goooood
droolin.gif

i also do it plain and the kids will mix jam in it the morning of if they cant decide what they want the night before

you can also use
peaches
maple syrup and brown sugar
frozen berries

Last edited:
I'm bumping an old thread with a question. Does anyone know the percentage of protein in steel cut oats? I've tried searching and am not having luck. The reason I ask is that I cleaned out the pantry and have some old grains -- not rancid -- to mix into the girls' feed:

- 1 part steel cut oats
- 1/4 part three grain non-instant hot cereal (wheat, rye, and flax)
- 1/2 part wheat bran
- a tad bit of instant tapioca

I suppose I could feed it as a treat, only, but I am curious.

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't have enough of anything to replace the layer feed, nor do I want to, however I do want the girls to enjoy this food instead of throwing it away. I have an ice cream bucket full.

Last edited:
McCanns oats makes for some mighty expensive chicken feed!

You can feed it raw or cooked. It's going to take about twenty minutes or so to cook it right.

Eat them yourself & buy your chickens some oats from the feed store. Steel Cut Oats are too good to feed to chickens.

I would never, ever feed steel cut oats to my girls. . .because I am going to eat them
myself. I am grossed out by rolled oats . . but I LOVE steel cut oats. love love love them.
there is never leftovers either. So I may buy them some rolled oats as a treat, but all steel cut
oats are going to get eaten by yours truly. McCanns are some of the best too.

Back
Top Bottom