Is “dandruff” just part of molting?

EveningPrayer

Chirping
May 13, 2022
I have an eight week old pullet who is on the mend from coccidiosis. Because she had several days where she did not eat, she is now molting. But I’m noticing she’s very itchy and scratching at herself, and that there is what looks like dandruff on her feathers… And also a sort of a dark version of it all over the paper towels she’s on. It doesn’t look like any sort of insect (it doesn’t move). So I’m assuming it’s detritus of molting?

Anything I should do so she’s less itchy? I’m trying not to stress her out, since she has weight to gain and is still unsteady on her feet, though she’s much better than she was a few days ago! Thanks.

The white flakes are probably the sheath that the feathers grow out of. It flakes off as the feathers grow. I have some Black Australorps, and yes, it does look like dandruff. I don't know, but I think the dark flakes may be more of the same.

I don't think there is anything you can do to make her less itchy, but again, I don't know.

I have an eight week old pullet who is on the mend from coccidiosis. Because she had several days where she did not eat, she is now molting. But I’m noticing she’s very itchy and scratching at herself, and that there is what looks like dandruff on her feathers… And also a sort of a dark version of it all over the paper towels she’s on. It doesn’t look like any sort of insect (it doesn’t move). So I’m assuming it’s detritus of molting?

Anything I should do so she’s less itchy? I’m trying not to stress her out, since she has weight to gain and is still unsteady on her feet, though she’s much better than she was a few days ago! Thanks.
Dandruff, keratin sheaths from molting feathers is normal.

If you have her separated out, provide her with a tub of dirt so she can take a dust bath.

Back
Top Bottom