Is 12 to 18 inches wide enough for a chicken tunnel?

I have about a 65-75 foot stretch of fence and I'm thinking about adding a chicken tunnel along the fence is 12 to 18 inches wide enough?
For a single hen to walk through, yes.

For a hen to enjoy scratching and eating things, maybe.

For one hen to walk past another, not comfortably (they usually like some personal space, not squeezing past each other in a tight area. And if a subordinate hen got down the tunnel, and a dominant hen followed her, you could have a bad situation with one trapped in the end being pecked.)

For a single hen to walk through, yes.

For a hen to enjoy scratching and eating things, maybe.

For one hen to walk past another, not comfortably (they usually like some personal space, not squeezing past each other in a tight area. And if a subordinate hen got down the tunnel, and a dominant hen followed her, you could have a bad situation with one trapped in the end being pecked.)
I could potentially add a couple of wider sections as a turn-around zone, and one at the end.

I could potentially add a couple of wider sections as a turn-around zone, and one at the end.
Whether that works will depend on how your particular chickens interact, and how they try to use the space. It will probably help, but I can't be sure whether it will work well enough or not.

Back
Top Bottom