is 24 hours of light bad?

I don't have any basic disagreement with Saladin's comments. They give you some good information. Saladin's last comment shows an understanding that we keep chickens for different reasons as Nifty's poll demonstrates.

I raise chickens for (you can choose more than one):

Pets 23% - 921
Eggs 28% - 1104
Meat 7% - 284
Fertilizer 11% - 431
Bug Control 12% - 489
More interesting and/or easy than other animals 9% - 363
Other (please specify in reply comments) 4% - 171
Showing & Exhibition 3% - 133
Voters: 1205

Since no one category got more than 50%, it shows that we are all in a minority on here. Our goals are different so our management styles will be different. And I have received a tremendous education from others with different goals and managment styles.

One of my points in this is to reinforce part of what Saladin said. They are yours to do with as you will, hopefully consistent with your goals. I think the original question shows a concern for the well-being of your chickens. And as an answer to your original question, I think you see a general agreement with these responses that they do better with a time of darkness. Also, continous lighting can cause a deterioration in the quality of the eggs according to the Egg Quality Handbook. Check out blood spots.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/ourbooks/1/egg-quality-handbook/

To me, inducing laying on birds is about the most stressful thing you can do to them. There is a reason battery type hens burn out fast. The normal cycle of a bird is there for a reason, and in my opinion, should be left alone, unless you are a large production breeder making a living off them, which is a moral issue IMO. If you go into owning chickens to make money, good luck with that! lol To me, if you can cover your feed costs, butcher some for feeding your family, and get eggs to eat, you are way ahead. Also, as Saladin says, there are breeds that lay well in the winter, so maybe consider running a couple of different breeds to solve your problem.
wink.png

As the others have mentioned, putting a light on your hens 24 hours a day isn't going to make them lay more than nature intended them to lay. They will in fact actually consume more feed than necessary, start feather picking, and all in all deteriorate in health.

If you want eggs all the time, I suggest going with a commercial egg layer breed like Leghorns, California Greys, etc... and replace your hens every year and a half or so. They are lightweight birds, eat less feed and pump out eggs like there's no tomorrow, which is what it sounds like you're wanting.

I never said I was going to keep a light on my birds 24 hours. I just asked if it was harmful. I dont do it now and I dont plan to do it. Just 12-14 hours in the winter because my coop is so dark. Actually Im not using any light in their coop right now, they just started laying. Thanks for the info everyone. Very informative.

Yes it's harmful. It will interfere with day/night cycles leading to stress and probably decreased laying the same as not getting enough light. No hens will not stop laying in winter if you keep light on them. Some will slow down a little in really cold climates but some won't even notice. I had japanese bantams lay all last winter while under lights. Nearly daily too. Hens will not run out of eggs sooner if made to lay all winter and if fed well should not "burn out". In areas that receive more light year round including where chickens originated they would lay year round. Battery hens burn out for other reasons including stress. Hens also naturally slow down laying after about their 3rd year whether they've been under lights or not and if you are running a commercial farm that means there is no reason to keep them beyond that time. Even if they would still continue to lay plenty of eggs. Bringing in some young hens will be more productive. It does require more energy to produce eggs all year but that just means you have to feed more including more protein and calories (a gamebird feed and sunflower seeds would be good for that) if you want to get more eggs.

If you are going to add light you want to do it in the morning and only for the number of hours needed. Not having a day/night cycle is harmful like I said. For every diurnal animal and many nocturnal ones. Adding light in the evening causes problems because suddenly the light will go out and they will be in the dark. Then they can't see to get on the roosts or anything. They will end up sleeping on the floor or some will completely panic and possibly injure themselves. Light in the morning just wakes them up earlier.

what about for chicks? I currently have a 250 watt red light in the coop to provide heat for my Michigan 3 week old chicks. I have bought a timer. When do I switch from brooder or heat type lighting for chicks to 14 hour lighting ??

I dont want to keep this 250 watter going forever.

I used to keep a light on 24/7 in the coop during the coldest winter months. I kept it on to help keep the quail eggs from freezing. Otherwise it was on for 14 hours a day. I sold quail eggs so I kept them laying all year.

The chickens that shared the coop would still roost and sleep during the night and didn't seem any weirder or more stressed than usual.

I like to give them an extra few hours of light only at night. They seem to wake up fine, even when it is dark outside. The evening light allows them to come inside when it gets dark around here at 5 pm, and eat some feed before roosting, also to get settled on the roosts before the light goes out. I use a timer, so it is constant. Red lights are supposed to allow the birds to sleep and pick each other less. Just pick breeds that are known for winter laying and you should have eggs a'plenty. HenZ

Back
Top Bottom