Is 2x4 welded wire ok for run fencing?

Mom2Munchkins

Songster
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
Upstate NY
I am building a pretty large run for my new coop. I want it to be 6' tall though so I can walk in there obviously. So my options are limited... Would getting welded wire with 2x4 openings be ok for standards as well as bantams??

You can use the welded wire for the run, and put chicken wire or hardware cloth around the bottom 24" to keep the smaller ones from going through the bigger holes. I have hardware cloth around mine. It's sturdier so critters can't tear it and reach through the welded wire like they could with chicken wire.

we did the same, 4x2 welded wire with hardware cloth around the bottom. It works great, keeps critter paws out and chicken heads inside. :)

This is exactly what I was going to suggest. My duck pen is chain link with 24" high chicken wire around the bottom. It keeps the ducks from sticking their heads through the fence to try to bite the dogs.

You can use the welded wire for the run, and put chicken wire or hardware cloth around the bottom 24" to keep the smaller ones from going through the bigger holes. I have hardware cloth around mine. It's sturdier so critters can't tear it and reach through the welded wire like they could with chicken wire.

I wish the 1x2 wasn't so expensive!!! Buying the 4x2 and the hardware cloth would probably cost about the same as the 1x2 I bet. Has anyone with bantams actually had them get out of the 4x2?

Back
Top Bottom