Is 37.1 to 37.3 celcus good for incubating chicken eggs?

alireza18feb

Songster
Mar 28, 2020
Every once in a while I get bored and then I make things ready for a new DIY, I've built small incubators before, this time I've used two containers to make an incubator that can take up to six eggs(very tiny I know, but I don't want many chicks, I love chicks)
OK this whole thing turned out pretty cheap for me, I bought a cheap thermostat , I have a mercury thermometer and another cheap digital thermometer/hygrometer and they both show 37.1 to 37.3 degrees (going up and down in that range) and the humidity is %52 (I've used the salt test, the hygrometer showed %75 which impressed me for a very cheap hygrometer)
Now my question is, is my humidity and temperature OK? Good? Bad? Is 37.1 good?

Every once in a while I get bored and then I make things ready for a new DIY, I've built small incubators before, this time I've used two containers to make an incubator that can take up to six eggs(very tiny I know, but I don't want many chicks, I love chicks)
OK this whole thing turned out pretty cheap for me, I bought a cheap thermostat , I have a mercury thermometer and another cheap digital thermometer/hygrometer and they both show 37.1 to 37.3 degrees (going up and down in that range) and the humidity is %52 (I've used the salt test, the hygrometer showed %75 which impressed me for a very cheap hygrometer)
Now my question is, is my humidity and temperature OK? Good? Bad? Is 37.1 good?
For a forced air incubator, the recommended temperature is 37.5°C (99.5°F). For a still air incubator, the recommended temperature, measured at the top of the eggs, is 38.0°C to 38.6°C (100.5°F to 101.5F).

Your temps are slightly low for a forced air incubator and definitely too low for a still air incubator.

For a forced air incubator, the recommended temperature is 37.5°C (99.5°F). For a still air incubator, the recommended temperature, measured at the top of the eggs, is 38.0°C to 38.6°C (100.5°F to 101.5F).

Your temps are slightly low for a forced air incubator and definitely too low for a still air incubator

Your temps are slightly low for a forced air incubator and definitely too low for a still air incubator.

My incubator has a fan so it's a forced air incubator, so 37.1 is not good?

Embryos are more sensitive to high rather than low temperature, so better slightly low than slightly high. One study found 2% reduction in hatch-rate at 36.7C/98,0F (i.e negligable), but a 10% reduction in hatch-rate at 38.3C/101F.

I've only had one hatch, but struggled with a large temperature difference between the eggs during the first week. However, I still had eggs (quails) hatching from all spots in the incubator.

37.1-37.3C is not ideal, but should work in a forced air incubator

Embryos are more sensitive to high rather than low temperature, so better slightly low than slightly high. One study found 2% reduction in hatch-rate at 36.7C/98,0F (i.e negligable), but a 10% reduction in hatch-rate at 38.3C/101F.

I've only had one hatch, but struggled with a large temperature difference between the eggs during the first week. However, I still had eggs (quails) hatching from all spots in the incubator.

37.1-37.3C is not ideal, but should work in a forced air incubator
I'm very happy for you good luck! And thanks for the reply, what was your temperature please?

I'm very happy for you good luck! And thanks for the reply, what was your temperature please?
I was aiming for 37.5C, but had major issues with my incubator; the first week (until I got some extra thermometers and realised what actually was going on) I had 37.1-37.7C at the edges and a major cold spot at 35.1C in the middle :barnie

I'm still surprised that I got a "high" hatch-rate. After the first week, when I got my thermometers, I managed to fix most of the temperature-issues and aimed for 37.3C (cold spot) and 37.8C (edges).

If you are able then try to bump up to 37.5C, if not then go with the 37.3C you are able to get.

PS. I hatched quail, but most birds wants the same temperature (unless you're hatching something exotic/unusual)

Back
Top Bottom