Is $40 too much for a chick?

Thank you all for your input. Lesson learned for future purchases. She seemed pretty certain they are all hens. But If any turn out to be roosters,she said she will trade for a hen. And yes they are on medicated mash and gave them some electrolytes in their water. They are doing great and seem like happy little chicks. And yes we are in Los Angeles so maybe that is why. But I have since found other breeders that sell their chicks for half the cost. And even 4-6 month old chickens for half the cost. Oh well. Hmm maybe I should think about breeding chicks if I can get that much for them. Lol!

Wow! the chicks that I get are usually 3-4$. And I also buy from online hatcheries too!

$3.50/chick here

you and i probably have the most common chickens.

pullets are about $7 each i think..

my next flock will be pullets that is for sure.. save on feeds and quicker to lay eggs..

my chickens are not laying eggs yet . and already talk about putting them on the table.. :/

if they wanted meat.. should have brought home broiler chickens instead...

Thank you all for your input. Lesson learned for future purchases. She seemed pretty certain they are all hens. But If any turn out to be roosters,she said she will trade for a hen. And yes they are on medicated mash and gave them some electrolytes in their water. They are doing great and seem like happy little chicks. And yes we are in Los Angeles so maybe that is why. But I have since found other breeders that sell their chicks for half the cost. And even 4-6 month old chickens for half the cost. Oh well. Hmm maybe I should think about breeding chicks if I can get that much for them. Lol!

If she told you she could sex them at one week of age, she's either a liar or she can see the future. Nobody can sex a chick at one week unless it's a sex link. Sorry to say this but prepare for at least 50% cockerels.

From everything I have read about chickens in California and people in California I have talked to about chickens, that seems to be the case.  Especially when compared to other parts of the country.

Hmm. Born and raised here so I guess I never questioned the prices.

I have heard of people familiar with their birds bloodlines being somewhat able to sex at a week, maybe not 100% but better than 50%.

I have heard of people familiar with their birds bloodlines being somewhat able to sex at a week, maybe not 100% but better than 50
--------------------------
Hi,
When I had the pure English Light Sussex, I could feather sex them with 100% accuracy from 1-3 days old.
Tho the breed is not known for being able to be feather sexed, I believe mine could be because years before they had come from England thru Canada. I read an article a while back. It said the decades ago the Canadians became very interested in feather sexing their breeds of poultry. So they developed the trait even in breeds not known for it. Both my Pure English strains I was using came to the U.S. after residing in Canada for years. I believe that's why they could be feather sexed.
Best,
Karen

I can sex all my chicks by the time they are three weeks old just buy watching them interact.

Often easier to do with purebreds and if you have both sexes for comparison. Last week I let a friend take three 3 week olders home that I was pretty sure are girls. They were different breeds. Now they are four weeks old and I have been mentally sorting them into three categories, cockerels, pullets and unsure. The unsures are a very small minority, may be cockerels and I'm really hoping for hens or since they were incubator hatched and I had an assortment of my own eggs I'm not sure on the mothers once they got mixed up. Once I figure the mother out, it makes sexing easier for me. For example, I have hens with different types and sizes of combs. If I know the mother I don't automatically assume a slightly larger comb, especially if it's pale is a boy. We'll see how accurate I am this time.
I had one I was assuming cockerel from the feathering coloration, but no comb and the little I can see is flesh colored. Then it hit me, she's a replica of her mother (Didn't even realize I had put any of her eggs in the incubator.) Initially I thought the mother was missexed, she even developed what I thought was one rooster feather on her tail before it fell out, never to be replaced, but she lays huge eggs.

Back
Top Bottom