Is 45 degree weather to cold for my goose and ducks??

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Ica94, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Ica94

Ica94 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2014
    Hello everyone!
    so i have a chinese goose and two pekin ducks. They used to sleep in my garage at night (during summer months because they were still babies) but about two and a half months ago they all (especially the goose) would rather sleep outside in the lake next to our house then come in at night. They are safe outside since the lake is in a neighborhood and there is a bunch of muscovies and another goose that lives on that lake. So what i am asking is, will they be ok in cold weather? Here in fl the lowest ive seen is 35 degrees f. I only ask cuz i went outside to feed them and my goose (which i assume is a boy) was in the shrubs next to my door making a nest and hiding and i think its becuase he might be cold so im trying to bring him inside but he wont buldge :(

2. apricotvalleywf

apricotvalleywf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2014
    Millbrook, Ontario
    My Coop
    No way! It is -17 Celcius (0 fahrenheit) in Ontario right now and my geese are lying in the sun. They have wind shelters and an enclosure if needed.

35 fahrenheit would be a balmy day for them right now!

3. Sounds like your boy is a girl and is building that nest to lay an egg. Especially since its hiding and wont move.

4. flockman

flockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Sounds like a girl.

5. LadyHawkeAvry

LadyHawkeAvry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2015
    Carlisle, NY
    [​IMG]
    My ducks and geese have a warm run in shed that they can use to escape the elements. They never use it. It was about 20 out when I took this picture (notice that the goose (left) is nearly buried, and the gander (right) has a good couple inches of snow on him as well. It has been routinely below zero here for the past few weeks. 45 degrees is fine, and it sounds like your goose considers it good enough to prepare for laying!!

6. Ica94

Ica94 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2014
    Thanks everyone :) maybe he is a she...but they are taking the cold fine. I cannot imagine them in that snow :O

7. Ica94

Ica94 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2014
    Just wanted to update. Goosy is a she! We found a large goose egg where she would nest. I always thought she was a boy because she has become a bit agressive and mounts my female pekin duck lol but its established haha

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Congrats always nice to have another girl and eggs as a bonus. and girls will mount girls so we can't always go by that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by