Is 6 or 7 weeks too early for crowing?

KelloggKid

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 8, 2011
Lancaster County, PA
I saw a previous post about some "pullets" beginning to crow at 16 weeks. This week one of my EE's started crowing at 7 weeks. At least it sure sounded like crowing to me. It wasn't pretty and he certainly needs some practice, but it sounded like a valiant attempt for a young bird.
Is that even possible? How can one bird wait until 16 weeks and another start at 7? I was thinking that the other potential roos will come out of the closet within a couple weeks but now I'm slightly discouraged that I could be looking at another 2 months. I'd like to downsize the flock as soon as possible. My wife thinks we're getting just a little too much chicken poo on the sidewalk. I tried to remind her that a friendly game of hop-scotch is fun on the way to work but she's not buying it. Why is it that chickens like to poo on concrete anyway?

Here's my blog link if anyone wants to read the story of this week's events.
http://backyardchickenfever.blogspot.com/2011/05/houston-we-have-rooster.html

Here's a photo of the roo in question.
CIMG7470.jpg

I have a little polish that has been crowing his little heart out since he was about 6-7 weeks old. He was still inside in the brooder when he started. Made for a great laugh every morning.

I have a serama roo that is maybe five weeks old now and he began crowing 2 days ago. He sounds awful. But he won't stop now. He's mighty proud. But the other male twice his size and 2 weeks older hasn't crowed. I think it's personality. The one crowing is spunky and bad. The other male is more mellow

Thanks to both of you for the feedback! I found somebody who wants an EE rooster today. He thought the roo looked very big for 7 weeks so I'm starting to wonder how old the chicks actually where when we purchased them at TS. Maybe they were 2-3 weeks old already.

My EE's are almost 6 weeks and still have some fuzz. I agree that yours looks a little older. He's a beaut!

Quote:

I have to agree. I have Easter Eggers who are only a week younger. And their tails are nowhere near that developed. I'm thinking that bird has at least another week age on it than you previously thought.

Your EE does look older than 7 weeks, but to answer your question, I had an Ancona roo that started crowing his little heart out at 3 weeks old.

Nope, not too early. I had a Hamburg roo that crowed at THREE WEEKS!! And his brother crowed at 4 weeks (pathetic attempts at crowing, but distinctive and undeniable nonetheless!).

Back
Top Bottom