Is 76 warm enough for 10 day olds

nuts4hotwheels

Songster
12 Years
May 8, 2010
Texas City, TX
I have 5 chicks and they are 10 days old and kept in small brooder in the house. I keep the the house thermostat at 76 degrees with a 150w lamp on the brooder. Today they were acting like they were too warm, panting and trying to move away from the heat. I turned the light off and they seem to be fine. They are not piled on top of each other like they are cold. Is 74-76 degrees a warm enough temp for 10 day old chicks or should I just use a smaller watt light like a 75w?
D.gif

I would say change the bulb and if they act hot under that then just stop using a heat lamp.

I would just raise the heat lamp. Do you have a thermometer in the brooder? I often subtract 3-5 degrees from the "recommended" temperature, but not by too much. At 10 days old, "they" recommend around 90 degrees F. My newest group is 15 days old, I have it around 83*F. If they seem warm, raise the lamp. If they seem cold, lower it. Good rule to judge by.

I am thinking about moving them outside to the secure coop. I am in Texas and it is around 90 degrees in the daytime and 80 at night. I just like having my babies in the house so I can keep an eye on them.

Back
Top Bottom