Is a bag of sand of any use?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by rosegal, Jan 9, 2009.

1. rosegal

rosegal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Tustin, CA
    Would they like to play in it or eat it? It is left over from construction and I just want to clear stuff out, and if I can use it for something....well, any ideas?
    La Donna

2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Oh heck yea, put a bunch of it in a shallow large something or other like a kiddie pool, and the chickens will lose their minds trying to dust bathe in it. yes that sand should not go to waste.
    AL

3. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    Put in in a shallow box and they'll dust bath in it. Some will also eat it for grit so make sure its clean sand (no broken glass or salt, or lyme if it was for making cement)

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine love their box of play sand. I add food-grade DE so they dust themselves and you can add DriKill or Sevin as post-treatment if your birds have had ticks or lice.

Use a kitty litter scoop to sift it clean.

Mine line up to use it! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  5. rosegal

rosegal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Tustin, CA
    Thanks I put it in a big plastic bin and put them inside....they are having a great time. So, they will be able to go in and out as they like.

6. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Oh yeah! The play sand is great! [​IMG] I saw one roo eating it yesterday & they love to take their sand bath in there. I also thrown in a little DE.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by