1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

is a coop in the shade okay?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by the-bird-man, Jan 9, 2011.

1. the-bird-man

the-bird-man Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    land of the sun
    so how much shade for a chicken is too much shade? where i am building my coop has a fair amount of shade, it still gets a few good hours of sun but not as much as other parts of my yard. i guess this could be good because it will keep it cool in the hot summer but i worry they will not lay much because they will not be in as much sun as if they are in other parts of the yard. where i am building the coop is on the north side of my yard. i think this will be okay but i am the kind of guy who worries a lot. i also plan on adding some clear led x-mas lights in the coop for winter but if needed i could just flip them on in the summer i guess. so what do you think? will it be okay and am i over reacting or should i be worried?

2. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    Not sure where in UT you are from. But in the summer you will be very happy it is in the shade. I also have a small sting of LED lights I have go on around 4 a.m. I get eggs every day. I wouldn't worry about it. Keep the drafts out and keep them dry and it'll be good.

3. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I used to have my coop in the shade, and I absolutely loved it! In the summertime it kept much cooler than the one I have in the sun...

I wouldn't worry much about it...they'll do just fine in the summer like that and in the winter, like most people, you can add a lightbulb to give them 12 hours of daylight.

4. bledsoe95

bledsoe95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2011
    Oakwood, Virginia
    I think it will be alright my coop is also in the shade and nothing badhas happened yet.

5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I posted earlier about coop location. Its very hot where I live & the shade is very very good when its 105 degrees no wind blowing trust me.

6. the-bird-man

the-bird-man Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    land of the sun
    [​IMG] this is great to hear! i was worried that i would have to find another spot which would not be as good as this spot because the spot that has shade is near my neighbor who i am very good friends with, he is happy i am getting them because he always had chickens for most his life and when he worked he was a chicken proseser at a chicken farm. so this is for sure going to be the best spot. the other spot i could put it is by the neighbor who i do not know that much. so this all works out perfect! okay my mind is at ease now. so watch as i bow to all of you [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by