Is a Coop Necessary?

My outlook on this is, why not give them a safe place to come to? If they are totally free-range, they will likely do just fine. However, they are a lot more likely to be taken by predators at night when they are out. I have two Guineas that will not come into the coop at night no matter what. It's just not gonna happen. So, every morning, I am grateful when they show up. If I could, I'd have them in a routine to come in every night, same as the chickens. I'm hoping that the routine I am establishing for the babies will result in this being the case with them.

I have lost three Guineas to snake, owl and fox. It's heartbreaking and I try to do what I can to diminish the chances of it happening. Still, it happens - the one I lost to a snake happened in their room, which we had made as safe as we could, and the fox got one of my hens in broad daylight, out in the open in our yard.

Mine roost with the chickens. Before they learned to roost with the chickens in the coop they roosted in a tree in the backyard, lost 2 in one night to an owl and kept on loosing them, went from 10 to 4 very quickly. They need a coop for their own safety.

~ Aspen

I let mine free range all day. From the beginning I put their cage in the chicken house with several roosts. I let them out 2 at a time. I have 20 acres on this side of the road they can roam, but they seem to always be withing sight! there is also 190 acres of woods across the road from me and they have never went there to roost. I believe, its just my opinion, that it is because I taught them a few at a time to leave and come back to the ones still caged. when they were all finally out, they come back to the chicken coop at night. on occasion they have gone to the top and i have just crossed my fingers that they would be ok. I also have great pyranees dogs that roam the property all night, And bark alll night long too.. mine are fed small amounts of feed every morning and in the evening and they have still been able to keep my tic problem under control in the yard. Now if you go deeper into the woods the ticks are still there. Just another opinion for what ever it is worth.

I was looking on the site to see if I could come across a post to help me with a issue of guineas roosting and I started to read this one. I thought I trained my well to roost at night into their coops, but I found out today I guess I didn't. I let my guineas out in the morning and in the afternoon I feed them only in their coop and they always go in. Today a storm hit while they were out and tonight only one came back. I have never had this happen and am worry about them. I raised them as babies and with the chickens and thought I was doing good by them to free range during the day and didn't have to worry to much. I have my dog outside with them during the day and I am usually home, but I left for a short time think nothing of it, but when the storm hit I rushed home and no guineas, I thought they would come home before dark, now I just hope they will be home in the morning. I had 11 now only 10..
sad.png

I would love it if my 3 guineas (now age 6 weeks) could hang out with and roost with my hens, especially this winter! How can I integrate them safely, and what is a good age to do that? The guineas currently have their own pen that I built inside the chicken's 50 x 100' pen. I give the hens and guineas each treats of melons, bread, veggies, etc every day, and have been tossing the treats for the hens right next to the guineas pen so they can safely get close to each other and get used to each other. I am completely new to guineas, am enjoying these little peeps, and appreciate any suggestions to keep them healthy and happy!

Back
Top Bottom