Is a long narrow a coop ok?

jmp-pdx

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 12, 2013
Lake Oswego, Oregon
We keep changing our plans, it's driving me crazy... We've dug out a 6x16' area for the run and coop. To maximize sunlight, my husband want to put the coop along the long side since it's near a fence, so a 16' long coop for 8-10 birds. It will be off the ground so they'll have the full 6x16' for a run. The entire 16' will have doors or access panels so cleaning shouldn't be difficult.

Is a 2x16' or 2.5x16' coop ridiculous?? Thought was for a 10' roost bar about 12-18" off the ground and then nest boxes at one end. Food and water in the run since we don't have harsh winters and entire thing enclosed in hardware cloth to keep out critters so leaving access door to run open all the time is fine. HELP?! :eek:

To put it bluntly (non-intentional)....YES! It would be totally useless to have a mere 2 feet in width for a coop, not to mention the stress on your flock.

Since you've already dug out a 6' x 16' area for the run and coop why not build the coop at 6' x 8' which leaves an additional 6' x 8' for the run?

I, too, live in Oregon, but here in Central Oregon we have 'harsh' winters...by that I mean snow and freezing. By keeping your pophole open to the run year-round you may end up with a moisture problem in the coop itself, which is something you don't want. Proper ventilation is needed, but you don't want a steady air flow on your birds 24/7 for sure.

I'm also confused when you say "We've dug out a 6x16' area for the run and coop." Do you mean literally you've 'dug out' an area, and if so why?

By dug out, I just mean enough to for a level base, one part was higher than the other by a couple of inches. I think I'll go with 4x6 for the coop, Thx!

Oh, and I'm in Portland, every few years we get a bit of snow but rally it's not that bad. I'll build a pop door for the winters. They will have a roof over the run so hopefully it won't be too damp, shouldn't be too hard to make modifications if needed. They're in an A frame now and it's horrible, I don't know why they're so popular...

By dug out, I just mean enough to for a level base, one part was higher than the other by a couple of inches. I think I'll go with 4x6 for the coop, Thx!

Oh, and I'm in Portland, every few years we get a bit of snow but rally it's not that bad. I'll build a pop door for the winters. They will have a roof over the run so hopefully it won't be too damp, shouldn't be too hard to make modifications if needed. They're in an A frame now and it's horrible, I don't know why they're so popular...
Uh....4' x 6' for your coop will be really tight quarters. Even at my suggested 6' x 8' it will be "cozy". I recall you saying 8-10 birds. So your dimensions of 4' x 6' equals 24 sq.ft. That's enough room barely for 6 birds. Even at my suggestion of 6' x 8' equalling 48 sq.ft. would be somewhat tight. Look at it this way....after you put in roost bar(s)/poop tray, feeder, waterer, and nesting boxes, how much 'room' do you really have left? Not much.

Really think long and hard on this before you begin your construction....I wish you all the best, and if you have any questions just give me a holler!!
frow.gif

Last edited:
Just a thought....
I have coops that are raised.
I have one that is raised 12 inches ( had to keep the height down due to trees ) VERY difficult to clean out.
I have one that is raised 18 inches EASIER but still a back killer to clean
I have one that is raised 2 foot SIMPLE to clean
I have one that is raised 33 inches and is VERY easy to clean HOWEVER it does put the cleaning a bit close to face level for my liking

Please save your back and raise that coop 24 to 30 inches off the ground. Added benefit of higher is that if a hen lays the egg under or is sick and hides under you can get to it easier.

Best wishes,

Babs

Uh....4' x 6' for your coop will be really tight quarters. Even at my suggested 6' x 8' it will be "cozy". I recall you saying 8-10 birds. So your dimensions of 4' x 6' equals 24 sq.ft. That's enough room barely for 6 birds. Even at my suggestion of 6' x 8' equalling 48 sq.ft. would be somewhat tight. Look at it this way....after you put in roost bar(s)/poop tray, feeder, waterer, and nesting boxes, how much 'room' do you really have left? Not much.

Really think long and hard on this before you begin your construction....I wish you all the best, and if you have any questions just give me a holler!!
frow.gif
hmmm.... ok, We are restricted on total space, ie, the 6x16' dimensions, so we're forging ahead with building the frame, attaching the hardware cloth, etc. But I'll think about the coop design some more before doing that part. I was planning on food/water in the run. Then two 4' roost bars (laddered) on one end of the 4x6, and a set of nest boxes on the other 4' wall and a poop tray and roost bar above them. So 12 total feet of roost bar and 2 boxes in the 4x6, is that a decent setup or no?? thanks!!

Just a thought....
I have coops that are raised.
I have one that is raised 12 inches ( had to keep the height down due to trees ) VERY difficult to clean out.
I have one that is raised 18 inches EASIER but still a back killer to clean
I have one that is raised 2 foot SIMPLE to clean
I have one that is raised 33 inches and is VERY easy to clean HOWEVER it does put the cleaning a bit close to face level for my liking

Please save your back and raise that coop 24 to 30 inches off the ground. Added benefit of higher is that if a hen lays the egg under or is sick and hides under you can get to it easier.

Best wishes,

Babs
I do plan on raising up the coop 24"! As you said, I think higher than 30" is too close to face level as well :) :) :)

hmmm.... ok, We are restricted on total space, ie, the 6x16' dimensions, so we're forging ahead with building the frame, attaching the hardware cloth, etc. But I'll think about the coop design some more before doing that part. I was planning on food/water in the run. Then two 4' roost bars (laddered) on one end of the 4x6, and a set of nest boxes on the other 4' wall and a poop tray and roost bar above them. So 12 total feet of roost bar and 2 boxes in the 4x6, is that a decent setup or no?? thanks!!

Yes, but for fewer chickens. If you are restricted on space then go with fewer birds. I'd only put up to 6 birds in a 4x6 coop, probably less just because I am really not fond of small spaces, especially for chickens. If you have any amount of winter weather at all they are going to want to be inside on those days, tight spaces lead to stress and behavior problems like pecking. Things that are far easier avoided then solved once they get started.

Food/water in the run might work out in warmer months but not in the winter. Even if it's protected from rain/snow feed outside will absorb dampness from the air so it's best if your coop is large enough to accommodate the feed/water.

Yes, but for fewer chickens. If you are restricted on space then go with fewer birds.  I'd only put up to 6 birds in a 4x6 coop, probably less just because I am really not fond of small spaces, especially for chickens.  If you have any amount of winter weather at all they are going to want to be inside on those days, tight spaces lead to stress and behavior problems like pecking.  Things that are far easier avoided then solved once they get started. 

Food/water in the run might work out in warmer months but not in the winter.  Even if it's protected from rain/snow feed outside will absorb dampness from the air so it's best if your coop is large enough to accommodate the feed/water. 

Agreed. When building a coop, you can either build the coop and decide how many chickens will comfortably fit.... Or decide how many chickens you want and then decide how large the coop needs to be. It sounds like you may need to consider how many chickens will comfortably fit. It also depends if you get large fowl or bantam. I built an 8x8 coop with a 130 sq ft run. Right now I have 11 chickens (large fowl). The space is just about right to give them all enough personal space. It's important that the chickens lower on the pecking order have room to run away from the alpha chickens.

Back
Top Bottom