Is a Niacin Deficiency possible (even with Purina Duck feed?)

BGosselin

In the Brooder
Nov 9, 2019
Hey everyone!
I’m a long time chicken owner, first time duck owner. I tried to do my research and make sure I did everything right but watching my ducklings, I’m having some concerns.

Is it possible to have a niacin deficiency even with the recommended duck feed from Purina?

They are about 3 and a half weeks old and I’ve noticed they’re “shaking” more than usual. Tonight they all were going crazy eating and seemed happy but had pretty shaky legs. Should I be concerned?

In the last few days they’ve acted a little more scared (or cold) on and off than normal by shivering. I kept thinking I had a temperature issue but tonight seeing just their legs shaking I’m more concerned.

Thanks in advance for your help! Obv is it is a deficiency I want to get them help ASAP. Any recommendations on where to pick up the niacin I need In store that’s not flush free? (I can order it if need be but I’d like to get them help sooner than later).

Also... while I’m looking into it, would brewers yeast be effective enough to help or should they have the powder from a capsule added to their water?

Hey everyone!
I’m a long time chicken owner, first time duck owner. I tried to do my research and make sure I did everything right but watching my ducklings, I’m having some concerns.

Is it possible to have a niacin deficiency even with the recommended duck feed from Purina?

They are about 3 and a half weeks old and I’ve noticed they’re “shaking” more than usual. Tonight they all were going crazy eating and seemed happy but had pretty shaky legs. Should I be concerned?

In the last few days they’ve acted a little more scared (or cold) on and off than normal by shivering. I kept thinking I had a temperature issue but tonight seeing just their legs shaking I’m more concerned.

Thanks in advance for your help! Obv is it is a deficiency I want to get them help ASAP. Any recommendations on where to pick up the niacin I need In store that’s not flush free? (I can order it if need be but I’d like to get them help sooner than later).
Hi... welcome to duck motherhood! I gave my ducklings liquid niacin & vitamin B when they were little. I can't remember the dosage...I think I found that online. Good luck!

Purina duck feed is suppose to have the minimal amount of naicin, but some breeds can need more, like Pekin. You can get naicin pills at Walgreens, CVS etc. Tractor supply also sells brewer's yeast pills for dogs that you can crush up. You may also find nutritional yeast in a store. I tend to add brewer's yeast if they need or not just in case. It won't hurt to add it. Peas also are high in naicin. Lots of people thaw out a bag of frozen peas and give them to their ducks as a treat. Win some good will and boost their nutrition.

Another consideration is I have also found ducklings to have wobbly legs when they are not use to having lots of exercise. One of my runners was really small, and didn't like to move much, and tired easily. Once she moved outside full time, she had a lot more motivation to move and her legs strengthened and don't wobble from fatigue anymore.

Thank you all! For some reason I never got notified of these replies.

For anyone that’s curious they did grow out of their wobbly legs! It did seem like they were needed to move more. I did add brewers yeast on their feed for a few weeks just to be safe but everyone turned out happy and healthy!

Back
Top Bottom