IS A RED STAR AND GOLDEN COMET THE SAME THING...?????

Duppydo

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 13, 2008
I'm a bit confused from my readings about red stars and golden comets...I did a google search and read in one place, that they are one in the same bird. Yet another place says they are two different breeds....Does anyone know for sure, if the red star/golden comet are the same bird or not....??? Thanks......Kevin

PS...to make matters even a little more confusing, i read that their also called cinnamon queens...????

first off, they are not breeds, but hybrids. a cross of two different breeds to give certain results.

and yes, they are different.

if you go to the Ideal website, they will break it down for you on this page.
click on the different types and it will tell you what is crossed with what to obtain the type of hybrid.

https://secuservices.com/ideal/newideal/Products.aspx?Category=Sex Links

(BTW...cinnamon queen, red star, golden comet...they are just names given to a certain 'brand'. like buying licorice, no matter what brand it is, it's licorice!)

hope this helps you understand more.
thumbsup.gif

miss...jayne, thanks for the link,and sharing what you know.Unfortunitly i couldn't open the file/access Ideal poultry, because i have msntv which has a very whimpy browser...
More info please...!! Anyone...?

Red Sex Links are a breed cross using Rhode Island Red males and Delaware females. The females are primarily red while the males are primarily white; therefore, the sexes can be separated immediately following hatching. This layer is used in many commercial layer operations. They have excellent livability, and are very efficient producers of large brown eggs. Mature hens will weigh about 5 1/2 lbs. and can be salvaged for fowl meat when their use for laying is over.
Gold Sex Links are a breed cross using Rhode Island Red males and Rhode Island White females. The female chicks are streaked with red or gold and can be separated from the solid white male chicks at one day old. This cross, which is one of the most popular used in commercial layer operations, is an efficient producer of large brown eggs. This outstanding cross has excellent livability, and mature hens, which weigh 5 1/2 lbs. can be salvaged for fowl meat when their use for laying is over.

joe- that site won't work.

and I was just curious to know, what type of hybrid would we get if we crossed a RIR male with a Red Star female???
smile.png
I was thinking another red sex-link chick, or maybe a mutt?

So is the only reason they breed the two breeds, so they can sex link? Or does it somehow improve the hardiness and layability of the chicken?

(Thanks)

~Meeerylou

Yes, they're the same. No matter what the particular hatcher calls them, Golden Comet, Cinnamon Queen, Golden Buff, and Red Star are all red sex links. They're the result of cross breading any red and silver color gene chickens. Usually Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire Red male over White Plymouth Rock, Rhode Island White, Silver Laced Wyandotte, or Delaware females

Back
Top Bottom