Is a rooster needed?

Chicks Galore3

Artistic Bird Nut
11 Years
Dec 16, 2011
Iowa
Do you need a rooster to hatch chicks? i wasn't considering getting a rooster, then is saw how the rooster protcets the flock, and when is saw the pictures of chicks, I couldn't help but maybe ask this question. Do you need a rooster to hatch chicks? You all probably know what i hope the answer is. no.
fl.gif
If you do need a rooster, please tell me details about roosters!!!!!! can you eat fertal eggs??????

you need a rooster to fertilize the eggs so that either a broody hen or you can hatch 'em, and yes you can eat fertilized eggs. they are no different as long as they haven't been incubated. if you want to hacth some chicks without a rooster why not just get an incubator and some hatching eggs
wink.png

would getting some hatching eggs and placing them under a broody hen work????? I want to have a hen hatch them and watch the mother-baby chick relationship.

You have to have a rooster for your hens to lay fertile eggs. That is the only reason you have to have a rooster. Everything else is personal choice.

As said, you can eat fertile eggs.

A rooster has nothing to do with a hen going broody or a broody hen hatching eggs. Whether a rooster is present or not, if a hen goes broody you can give her fertile eggs and she will hatch them. Some hens will go broody whether a rooster is present or not. Some hens will never go broody, whether a rooster is present or not.

If you have a hen go broody, you should be able to get fertile eggs without a whole lot of problems. Go on your state thread on this forum and post there. Someone pretty close to you probably has fertile eggs they can provide. Or talk to the people at the feed store. There is a pretty good chance someone there has fertile eggs or knows someone who does. Or call your county extension service, in the phone book under county government, and talk to them. Or look on Craigslist for your area. If you really want them, finding fertile eggs is not usually a problem. If you want a specific breed of chicken it might be a little harder, but them it might not.

Your problem is much more likely to be that a lot of hens don't ever go broody. You may get lucky and you may not.

Some hens go broody and some do not. Some roosters are mean , some are not. Some broodies can care for chicks well, some have all their babies die in a short time. Do some more reading. Baby chicks are fun and interesting, but they also bring work and sad moment too. Read back thru the baby chick section for 10 pages or so to get an idea of the chick experience. And then prepare for chicks!! GL

Back
Top Bottom