Is a Silver Laced Wyandotte considered a barred hen?

AYoung90

Chirping
Feb 4, 2023
Mesa, AZ, USA
I just hatched sex-link chicks with my Brahma rooster & barred rock hens. (Males had yellow spots on their head, females had all black heads šŸ„³) Can I use my silver laced Wyandotte hens also, to get sex-link chicks with the same rooster? Thanks!!!

I just hatched sex-link chicks with my Brahma rooster & barred rock hens. (Males had yellow spots on their head, females had all black heads šŸ„³) Can I use my silver laced Wyandotte hens also, to get sex-link chicks with the same rooster? Thanks!!!
What color is the Brahma? If he's red based, then yes you can.

The sex linking works for the barred hens since he is basically solid / non barred. That is like a black sex link. The sex linking works over a SLW or Columbian because the hens have a silver gene, so long as he has the red base. Like a Buff Brahma, for example. I don't know much about Brahamas to know about the other colors. Anyway, this route creates a red sex link.

What color is the Brahma? If he's red based, then yes you can.

The sex linking works for the barred hens since he is basically solid / non barred. That is like a black sex link. The sex linking works over a SLW or Columbian because the hens have a silver gene, so long as he has the red base. Like a Buff Brahma, for example. I don't know much about Brahamas to know about the other colors. Anyway, this route creates a red sex link.
Awesome, thank you!! I had read somewhere that you could make sex link chicks with SLW hens.... the red base Brahma makes sense. Mine isn't red based (he's a dark Brahma, lots of black) but still good to know!!

He did make black sex link females with my barred rock hens!

Awesome, thank you!! I had read somewhere that you could make sex link chicks with SLW hens.... the red base Brahma makes sense. Mine isn't red based (he's a dark Brahma, lots of black) but still good to know!!

He did make black sex link females with my barred rock hens!
I'm wondering if this could work with SLW hens and a solid black rooster ?

The laced gene does not show with the dot on the head. How could you tell sex at hatch? It would make for all males being laced but you wouldn't know until they feathered out.

Last edited:
The Barred feather patterning and the laced feather patterning are different.
So the answer to you question in the title of this thread is No - they are two very different feather patterns. :)

Back
Top Bottom