Is ALL bread bad for the wildfowl at the park?

Kalsti

Songster
6 Years
Jul 31, 2013
We wondered if anyone knows what diseases specifically do the birds get caused by eating bread and junk food that s fed to them at our park? Also, as a last resort, is whole grain bread ok to feed them? (We had this discussion and some kids/families don't have access to the wildfowl pellets, cracked corn, etc. We still think they should not be left out of the wonderful experience of feeding the wildlife at the park)......any ideas?

They can get angel wing which only occurs in areas with people. Also it's not that the bread is bad, its more like if you ate candy all of the time. It wont kill you but you wouldn't be as healthy if ate a more balanced diet, waterfowl eat beard because it tastes good.

They will not get disease from bread. Scott and Dean (Nutrition and management of ducks....could also be geese) show that up to 20% of the diet being bread is not detrimental, as long as it is figured into the total diet. Whole wheat may be better, but I know of no studies comapring them.

Clint

About 1X a week I bring out w/w bread as a treat for my flock, My Muscovies practice their catching skills[ they like to catch in mid air] and my chickens run around trying to take the bread out of their mouths, my geese will be stepping on everyone else trying to get their share. My flock loves bread, but I do keep it very minimal in feeding.

Back
Top Bottom