Is All Hope Lost?

MrsK

Chirping
10 Years
Apr 13, 2012
We had no idea a duck had a nest (more of a hole in dirt, no feathers or down or anything) behind the wood pile, which was a foot away from our bulkhead. My daughter and a few friends were outside last night and saw two males “attack” the female. They all (the ducks) went into the lagoon, and yep you guessed it, my kids came in with 4 eggs. I didn’t want to put them back outside as they were hot and not sure if mom would go back to them since my kids picked them up and the temperature outside was quickly dropping so I plugged in the still air incubator I had. It took 1 hour for the incubator to reach and stay at 100°. Meanwhile the eggs were kept against their chests inside their shirts. They cooled a little from how hot they were. Is all hope lost to save them? I am turning them (marked each side with x and o) at 7am, 3pm, and 9:30pm. Humidity is 60-65%. Do you think they are still viable? Or should I put them back in the hole they were in? Someone please advise me. I had already told my kid never to touch a nest but I guess excitement took over…

Back
Top Bottom