Is an electric fence dangerous to my flock?

Imker

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 4, 2011
Limestone Cove
I keep bees. I live in the mountains of Tennessee. I have a solar powered electric fence to keep the bears away from the hives. We let our chickens free range every day.

Will a chicken survive being zapped by an electric fence?

Last edited:
I had an electric fence around my garden & they were always going through it. I think their feathers ground it out. But if they touch it with their feet they will get a jolt.

Thanks. Tough to get a ground. That's what I thought. As long as a bug isn't dangling from a wire I guess I'll stop worrying about it.

I've been told we'll have fried chicken if my chickies stand the wire fence and touch the cow's electric.

So we're keeping them in the run until we can figure that out...

Sorry this took so long to answer!

Haven't had a problem with it, though I've seen hens eat one out in the yard, when they come across a single honey bee on the clover. Still, the hens are young - larger butterflies will spook them; larger aggressive looking insects they avoid (wasps, bumble bees); and I think the sheer number of bees coming out of the hives makes them wary. We are always nearby when they free range ( we live way out in the country, and we are surrounded by woods full of predators.) We direct them away the bee yard and its electric fence, but honestly have never seen a chicken suddenly spy the hives, think "food", and head straight toward it.

Last edited:
I've been told we'll have fried chicken if my chickies stand the wire fence and touch the cow's electric.

I doubt it would do any serious damage.

A good charger only shocks for 1/10th of a second​

Back
Top Bottom