Is any breed docile AND a great layer?

So many people say leghorns are flighty, nervous, and bullies. I often wonder how many of those people have actually owned leghorns or have been around some quality stock. I find them very active birds, but other than that not much different than other breeds. In fact, in the egg coop the leghorns get picked on from the new hampshires and seem about equal with the easter eggers.

You don't go into their pen flailing your arms around and they are just fine. Curious and smart (for a chicken) that lay lots of eggs on little feed.

In all honesty you'll get lots of opinions, and Henderson's chart isn't much more than his experiences and opinions. Different lines of the same breed are going to be different and nothing is guaranteed.

For a fantastic egg layer that's pretty mellow, the red and black sexlinks are hard to beat.

I have had different experiences with sex links. I have tried several times to get "nice" ones. Every one of them I have had have been horrible bullies in my mixed flock.
I wonder if they would still be awful if they were in a flock of just sex links......

I have had different experiences with sex links. I have tried several times to get "nice" ones. Every one of them I have had have been horrible bullies in my mixed flock.
I wonder if they would still be awful if they were in a flock of just sex links......
That's interesting. Did you try them from different hatcheries or did you order from the same one? I've had no problems with them in the past.

That's interesting. Did you try them from different hatcheries or did you order from the same one? I've had no problems with them in the past.

Different hatcheries and 4 tries to get mellow ones with 3 or more each try. Total BSL tried was 18. So sad as I do like how they look and how they lay just not fond of them beating up on my more docile breeds. The only ones in my flock that they did not have a go at were the Black Australorp.

Different hatcheries and 4 tries to get mellow ones with 3 or more each try. Total BSL tried was 18. So sad as I do like how they look and how they lay just not fond of them beating up on my more docile breeds. The only ones in my flock that they did not have a go at were the Black Australorp.

Hens will squabble over pecking order, but that is different than being docile.

Hens will squabble over pecking order, but that is different than being docile.

What I have seen with the BSL's is relentless pursuit of nearly every other hen in the flock with serious damage to a bantam Cochin's head and to BO's as well as a full on mean as heck attack on the dark Brahma. I am not talking about the normal pecking order issues but rather a relentless attack that traveled all over the back yard with the attacked trying to escape and the BSL not letting up even with shrubs or buildings in between.

Are they all awful? Not likely but all the ones I tried were.

What I have seen with the BSL's is relentless pursuit of nearly every other hen in the flock with serious damage to a bantam Cochin's head and to BO's as well as a full on mean as heck attack on the dark Brahma. I am not talking about the normal pecking order issues but rather a relentless attack that traveled all over the back yard with the attacked trying to escape and the BSL not letting up even with shrubs or buildings in between.

Are they all awful? Not likely but all the ones I tried were.

Well that's not typical and a shame you had to deal with it. Crazy chickens can come in every breed, shape, or cross, but you really hit the triple 7's it seems.

I vote Australorps. I think they're an awesome breed, hardy through all kinds of weather, great layers, friendly. IMO they lay better than the orpingtons but aren't quite as sweet. They are less puffy, more heavy compared to the orpingtons too. I would not say they are as painfully sweet as the orps but they are still eat-out-of-your-hand friendly and tend to mesh well with other birds (on their part).

Back
Top Bottom