Is Aviverm Safe for Chicks?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Silver Bantam, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Just discovered my chickens have a heavy worm burden (poor things! [​IMG]), so we bought some Aviverm bird wormer stuff to pour in their water.

I have a hen with four chicks at the moment though, and was just wondering if it's safe to worm them along with the hen? I really need to, or find a solution if not, as the hen has worms too.

Thanks!! [​IMG]

2. coach723

coach723 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    Sorry, I'm not familiar with that wormer so can't help with it specifically.
    But wanted to say that I much prefer wormers that are directly dosed to the bird, like Valbazen or Safeguard (albendazole, fenbendazole). Then you know that each bird has received the proper dose, no guessing. Dose is determined by weight. I generally don't worm my chicks until they are about 15 weeks unless there is a problem. But I worm regularly, so don't find heavy loads in my birds. In that case I would do the math and dose according to weight. I also prefer these wormers because of how they work, they take care of most worms, and kill the worms more slowly which is easier on the bird, rather than a massive die-off all at once, especially important in a bird with a heavy load of worms or a first worming. Hope that is helpful, though not an answer to your original question.

3. Thank you very much for your help, @coach723! I really appreciate it [​IMG]

I'll make sure to get a different wormer next time- didn't think about that. Hopefully this will be ok for now though, as they really need to be dosed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by