is bacon too salty?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by yyz0yyz0, Mar 10, 2015.

1. yyz0yyz0

yyz0yyz0 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    I get scraps from the dining room at work to feed my girls. Today there was a bunch of crumbled bacon in with the normal vegetable scraps.

Is bacon too salty to feed to chickens? I don't want to dump the whole bin of scraps but I also don't want to hurt the girls by giving them something too salty.

Is salt a cumulative thing, ie if I only do it this once will it be ok or is any salt too much?

thanks

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    I personally wouldn't feed them bacon. Probably too much fat and salt. But a little won't hurt them.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  3. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    Unless you're feeding it all the time - it's not going to be a problem. I think the animal protein is going to help more than the salt is going to hurt (especially if you're feeding them a bunch of low protein, low amino acid veggies).

4. yyz0yyz0

yyz0yyz0 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    That was my thought, this is the first time I've seen the bacon in the scraps. So I don't plan on making this a habit, next time I see bacon in the scraps I'll just scrape off most of it into the garbage right in the dining room.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by