Is bacopa monnieri safe for duck ponds?

Comradetara

Chirping
Oct 10, 2021
I have been adding some plants to my ducks' pond in an attempt to make it more "realistic" for them. I came across some bacopa monnieri/Herb of Grace and was wondering if it was safe in the event that they try to snack on it. I've done a bunch of Googling but can't seem to find an answer. :(

Is herb of grace toxic?

Contact with the skin will cause short-term irritation and you should wear gloves when working with the plant. Ingestion can cause stomach pain, vomiting, exhaustion, confusion, and convulsions and can be fatal. Poison Toxic Principle: Furocoumarins; rutin, a volatile oil; alkaloids; coumarin derivatives.

I have been adding some plants to my ducks' pond in an attempt to make it more "realistic" for them. I came across some bacopa monnieri/Herb of Grace and was wondering if it was safe in the event that they try to snack on it. I've done a bunch of Googling but can't seem to find an answer. :(
According to University of Florida, Bacopa Monnieri is not toxic

https://mrec.ifas.ufl.edu/research/weedsbyflowercolor/white/bacopamonnieri/

More information [no mention of toxicity] at:
https://www.flawildflowers.org/flower-friday-bacopa-monnieri/

Last edited:
Is herb of grace toxic?

Contact with the skin will cause short-term irritation and you should wear gloves when working with the plant. Ingestion can cause stomach pain, vomiting, exhaustion, confusion, and convulsions and can be fatal. Poison Toxic Principle: Furocoumarins; rutin, a volatile oil; alkaloids; coumarin derivatives.
That might be a different plant from Bacopa Monnieri. It is always difficult to be sure if we are talking about the same plant when using common not botanical names.

Is herb of grace toxic?

That might be a different plant from Bacopa Monnieri. It is always difficult to be sure if we are talking about the same plant when using common not botanical names.
yes, that's what I'm wondering. On my plant ID it's called herb of grace but has other names as well. I looked up the source of that information from Miss Lydia (thank you for your reply!!) and the picture on the website doesn't match what I have.

Attachments

• 325DAF3C-62CD-4735-BB36-442C11D3458A.jpeg
    325DAF3C-62CD-4735-BB36-442C11D3458A.jpeg
    318.9 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom