Is bedding necessary in the coop

Calabogie chicken lady

Songster
5 Years
Mar 17, 2018
Calabogie ontario
i have 12 layers. They all go into the Laying boxes every day except one lays on the coop floor. It is always a very small egg in comparison to the others. My floor is covered with lanoleum and than i put shavings on top. Is it necessary to have shavings on the floor now the weather is warmer And they only stay in the coop at night. During the day they are either in the run or free ranged.
I thought if i kept nothing on the floor it might go in the box to lay. I have plenty of boxes so that is not the reason it lays on the floor

well it is your choice, but from my experience chicken poop likes to stick to things. I would keep using something to cover the linoleum, it will make it easier to clean it out when you do.
I have a brick floor and cover it with pine shavings. Every once in awhile they will scratch a bare spot so the poop lands on the bricks and I'm down there with a scraper cleaning the brick off

I always have something to cover the ground because chicken poop has high levels of ammonia and can make you and them very sick.

I usually always put something to cover the floor like straw. My coop flooring is built out of composite wood so it will never rot or anything, but chicken poop just sticks to everything. When my chickens walk in the straw, it basically cleans off their feet and I think if I didn't have that they would just smear poop everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom