Is breed and size important when adding new birds to an existing flock?

minou33

Songster
8 Years
Apr 22, 2015
Colorado
When adding new birds to an existing flock, do you need consider breed and size? Do the new birds generally accept the new additions (as long as they were introduced properly) as members of the flock or will they always be lower on the hierarchy?

I have a flock of five hens from last spring (2 NH Red, 1 BCM, and 2 Cream Legbars). They were all raised together and get along really well. The BCM and one of the reds are my largest and are the head birds but don't bully the others. I plan to add a lavender orpington (my dream bird) and another cream legbar to my flock this spring, but am concerned the the new legbar may be bullied by the entire flock. Is this likely? Should I avoid adding smaller birds as new additions?

I have a very mixed flock of many different breeds and ages. It includes the largest, my Salmon Faverolles rooster at just over 7 pounds down to the smallest, a Sebright at 1.3 pounds. The Sebright is NOT the bottom of the pecking order. I also have a WLH and an Exchequer Leghorn, both small, neither at the bottom.

So you can certainly introduce new birds to the flock. The best integrations happen when a slow introduction is done and they have A LOT of space with lots of things in the space. Trying to integrate when you will only have the often recommended minimum of space of 10 sq ft of run per bird and 4 sq ft of coop per bird usually leads to someone getting pummeled. Sometimes viciously.

What do you have to work with? Are you introducing pullets, chicks or hatching eggs under a broody? The last is by far the easiest and the mother does all the work for you.
Regardless of how you do it, it takes a very long time, months, for 2 sub-flocks to fully integrate.

When adding new birds to an existing flock, do you need consider breed and size?
No, I consider my goals. Why do I want chickens. What are they for.

My goals do not include bantams or those decorative chickens that many people love. I have no experience with Silkies, Frizzles, Polish, or any such chicken.

Do the new birds generally accept the new additions (as long as they were introduced properly) as members of the flock or will they always be lower on the hierarchy?
When they mature mine make their way into the pecking order and flock social order. Sometimes high and sometimes low. Older established birds are more likely to be higher in the final pecking order but not always.

am concerned the the new legbar may be bullied by the entire flock. Is this likely?
She might be. The Orp might be. Or either of them could become the bully.

Should I avoid adding smaller birds as new additions?
As I said I have no experience with bantams but full sized fowl (which the legbar is) come in many different sizes. Size has never been the issue once they reach a certain maturity level.

I understand that you read a lot of posts about size on this forum. In my experience size is not important. Things like maturity, how much room they have, and your integration techniques are important.

I don't know the square footage, but I think we have enough space. I have definetly seen people cramming a lot more chickens into a smaller space. We have an enclosed run built around a smaller covered run. There's also a small open area attached covered with poultry netting (my girls can't free range because of predators). Our coop is pretty small though and was a converted closet. I do have the space for another flock if I have to, but I didn't really want to go there...building a whole new coop and run just for two!
run.jpg
run1.jpg
run2.jpg

runcoop.jpg

I have a very mixed flock of many different breeds and ages. It includes the largest, my Salmon Faverolles rooster at just over 7 pounds down to the smallest, a Sebright at 1.3 pounds. The Sebright is NOT the bottom of the pecking order. I also have a WLH and an Exchequer Leghorn, both small, neither at the bottom.

So you can certainly introduce new birds to the flock. The best integrations happen when a slow introduction is done and they have A LOT of space with lots of things in the space. Trying to integrate when you will only have the often recommended minimum of space of 10 sq ft of run per bird and 4 sq ft of coop per bird usually leads to someone getting pummeled. Sometimes viciously.

What do you have to work with? Are you introducing pullets, chicks or hatching eggs under a broody? The last is by far the easiest and the mother does all the work for you.
Regardless of how you do it, it takes a very long time, months, for 2 sub-flocks to fully integrate.

Back
Top Bottom