Is Cedar ok to use for bedding?

Quote:
Wrap the cage bottom/sides part way with cardboard or towels to prevent drafts. Maybe even part of the top. I usually start at 90F, though many recommend 95F. Look at the chicks - if they are huddled next to the heater they are a bit too cold, if they are as far away as possible, they are too hot. Drafts are a big problem, I use a big plastic storage container for brooding the first few weeks.

Will do
smile.png
TheY hoped off the probe and the temp is 90 without them sitting on it and they are spread throughout the cage. I guess the heater just took a few minutes to get heated up well.

Humm.... hope they stay warm enough in the car on the ride to the inlaws (heaven help me). It's about an hour
smile.png

Oooh, make sure they don't get too hot either. A gal I know had chicks in a closed, but perforated box, in the back seat. Her SUV had a separate heater for the back area. They all died from the heat! It's a touchy situation, trying to get it just right.

Maybe you should encourage MIL to join, sounds like she needs to learn a few things. Uhm, if she joins, maybe you should adopt another persona?
big_smile.png
Just let us know who you become!

Quote:
ROFL.... NO danger of that AT ALL. They don't even use cell phones, no computer in the house AT ALL. My MIL is ummmm.... welll..... different to say the least. She is from Thailand so a lot of the differences that I noticed are purely cultural. Other things.... not so much. She is scary crazy and hates my guts right now because *gasps* I don't work full time outside of my home.
smile.png
She figures that's what daycare is for so put the baby in daycare and get back to work... working from home doesn't count at all as work. Umm K. I was also lazy when I stopped working in Oct. 09 b/c my O.B. put me on bed rest for the rest of my pregnancy. She said that was dumb and I needed to get out and WORK right up until baby was born.... I'm a fat lazy good for nothing slob if I don't. I guess there is no such thing as pregnancy complications to her mind. She also called to cuss us out because we weren't feeding solids to our son at 3 months old, he had to have a really controlled diet and was a failure to thrive baby in addition to being premie, she said that the doctors don't know what they are talking about feed him "noodle soup"!!! (noodle soup to her is ramen noodles to the rest of us) She's never without a beer or an opinion
wink.png
Anyway, that's just a tiny peak into my relationship with my MIL.

Anyway sooo Noooooo lol to suggesting MIL join here Hahaha. That's a truly frightful thought!

I would avoid the cedar i got lucky with my first chicks when i used it but I was useing a large wire dog cage for a brooder woth great ventalation you couldnt even small the cedar.

I wouldn't use cedar for any small animals. I used pine shavings in the booder, and they were fine on that. In the big grown up chicken coop, I use pine shavings on the floor, and I do mix in a very small amt of cedar chips to help keep insects away and help with any odors. I use hay and dried lavender in the nest boxes.

Back
Top Bottom