Is chicken sick?

Jen_naay

Chirping
Apr 9, 2020
Hi everyone.
I took in this RIR about 5 months ago, we believe she is around 3-4 years old. Very sorry for the poopy pictures but we’ve given her countless baths, clipped her back feathers down and nothing helps. Her butt is always poopy. Someone suggested it may be worms so I used what our local store recommended- backyard chicken zyfend. However issue is still the same and now it almost seems like she’s trying to hide out by herself. I also haven’t gotten any eggs from her in the 5 months that we’ve had her. Any recommendations on what I should/can do?

Attachments

• 13D0C4CB-3772-464F-AD85-792B3BF005A7.png
    13D0C4CB-3772-464F-AD85-792B3BF005A7.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 10
  • 45A382C2-7514-404B-83A6-21292547CBA0.jpeg
    45A382C2-7514-404B-83A6-21292547CBA0.jpeg
    473.7 KB · Views: 9
Someone suggested it may be worms so I used what our local store recommended- backyard chicken zyfend. However issue is still the same and now it almost seems like she’s trying to hide out by herself. I also haven’t gotten any eggs from her in the 5 months that we’ve had her.
Welcome To BYC

Feel her abdomen for bloat or fluid. With her hunched up like that and not laying eggs, I would suspect that she may have a reproductive disorder - Peritonitis, cancer, Salpingitis, etc. can be common in laying hens.
See that her crop is emptying overnight and look her over for lice/mites.

If you feel that worms are an issue, get a fecal float or if that's not possible, use a De-wormer (Anthelmintic) that will treat worms. Safeguard (Fenbendazole) or Valbazen (Albendazole) are good choices.
Safeguard dose is .23ml per pound of weight given orally for 5 days in a row.
Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

Work on getting her hydrated and eating. Sometimes a hen can rally and feel better after supportive care. Sometimes they continue to decline and quality of life needs to be considered.

Fwiw - Zyfend is a not a de-wormer - it is basically a tonic that offers "digestive health support" There is nothing on their labeling that touts it to be a de-wormer. https://www.drugs.com/vet/backyard-chicken-zyfend-a.html

Welcome To BYC

Feel her abdomen for bloat or fluid. With her hunched up like that and not laying eggs, I would suspect that she may have a reproductive disorder - Peritonitis, cancer, Salpingitis, etc. can be common in laying hens.
See that her crop is emptying overnight and look her over for lice/mites.

If you feel that worms are an issue, get a fecal float or if that's not possible, use a De-wormer (Anthelmintic) that will treat worms. Safeguard (Fenbendazole) or Valbazen (Albendazole) are good choices.
Safeguard dose is .23ml per pound of weight given orally for 5 days in a row.
Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

Work on getting her hydrated and eating. Sometimes a hen can rally and feel better after supportive care. Sometimes they continue to decline and quality of life needs to be considered.

Fwiw - Zyfend is a not a de-wormer - it is basically a tonic that offers "digestive health support" There is nothing on their labeling that touts it to be a de-wormer. https://www.drugs.com/vet/backyard-chicken-zyfend-a.html

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom