Is coop too hot at night in Texas summer

Use strong hardware cloth. You can also double wire with a second layer of stronger wire, or run electric wire around the coop.

A mostly wire coop can be made fully predator proof.
that is great and thank you. I have a "screen door" inside the regular door that is all hardware cloth and I open the outer door when it is hot out so they have one side fully open but I have to close it on really rainy nights so the bedding and they don't get wet. How you you all handle that?

that is great and thank you. I have a "screen door" inside the regular door that is all hardware cloth and I open the outer door when it is hot out so they have one side fully open but I have to close it on really rainy nights so the bedding and they don't get wet. How you you all handle that?
Deep eves.

The other option is to have the run roofed, and then the one fully wire coop wall is up against the run, and so protected by the run roof.

My grandmother's coop had a fully wire front wall that was up against a covered coop porch. She had wanted the fully rain proof covered porch so she could hang a feeder there, outside of the coop, and the feed stay dry. This also helped the coop stay dry.

The top half of the other coop walls were wire... but with deep eves rain didn't usually blow in.

She did have plywood type shutters to cover the half wall wire in a storm.

The front full wire had zero shutters... but since it had a fully roofed porch to protect it, even big storms were fine.

And so yes... in her coop, a breeze WAS at perch level. This is a good thing in Texas.

Deep eves.

The other option is to have the run roofed, and then the one fully wire coop wall is up against the run, and so protected by the run roof.

My grandmother's coop had a fully wire front wall that was up against a covered coop porch. She had wanted the fully rain proof covered porch so she could hang a feeder there, outside of the coop, and the feed stay dry. This also helped the coop stay dry.

The top half of the other coop walls were wire... but with deep eves rain didn't usually blow in.

She did have plywood type shutters to cover the half wall wire in a storm.

The front full wire had zero shutters... but since it had a fully roofed porch to protect it, even big storms were fine.

And so yes... in her coop, a breeze WAS at perch level. This is a good thing in Texas.
Yes for sure! Right now with our outer door open and the hardware screen door closed the whole thing is open right by their porch cuz its HOT!!! Thank you for all of those awesome ideas - We are thinking of building a new coop soon and these ideas are really helpful! Happy 4th!

Back
Top Bottom