Is cracked corn with weevils safe?

You can feed it to your chickens, but they eat the hearts of the grains. That is where the protein is in grains, in turn, lowers the protein value of the feed.

I dusted my weevil problem with FOOD GRADE ( 50lb bags at Amazon) Diatomaceous Earth . there were so mny in my bag you could hear them moving, very creepy. I may not use this feed, but will see the what the DE does to them. I use it for fleas ,ants and all creepy crawlers.

Don't declare victory too quickly, once the weevil larva eat the protein rich center of the corn kernels the adults will loose interest in laying eggs in the sack of corn. You may think that the DE worked but that is not necessarily the case.

Last edited:
Weevils may provide extra protein, but they reproduce like mad and after three episodes of bringing weevils home from the supply store, I've stopped buying layer pellets in paper sacks. The paper feed sacks where I live have holes in them when they're manufactured, so weevils have easy access to the feed while it's still in the warehouse. So I've switched to the feed in woven plastic sacks (Tindle brand) and never see weevils or their nasty web blobs in the feed anymore.

Moderately weevily grain that is otherwise not wet or moldy is safe to feed. Just do it soon.

Heavily weevily grain can be a problem so best not to feed that.

Right, feed it to them soon. Weevils are good protien, weevil poop in moderate concentrations can't be good. In my non medical opinion.

Grapes. Give them some grapes. You'll swear they are crack addicts in the early stages of withdrawals and the grapes are a free hit. :D

Extra tasty bonus!!!!  They'll be thrilled. 

A bunch of meal moths got into my scratch grain bag.  It's stringy and fill of little crawling worms.  The chickens think it's the best stuff I ever got them.  Except maybe for the giant box of crickets....

Back
Top Bottom