Is discouraging flight a bad thing?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HudokFarm, Mar 13, 2012.

1. HudokFarm

HudokFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Minnesota
    My little one+ week old chicks are in their flight-testing stages. My brooder is 24" tall and a few have nearly cleared the side attempting to see what is on the other side. I have hardware cloth and am going to build a frame to attach it to for the top of the brooder this afternoon. Will this be OK? They really don't NEED to try to fly, do they? They will have plenty of time to do that when they are out of the brooder in another few weeks, right?

2. heybarb

heybarb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    I am anxious to hear what others have to say. This is our first experience with chicks too, and twice I have found one perched on the side of the box. I keep adding cardboard to make it taller and taller. It's currently about 3 feet tall.

3. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    Yes, you should cover the top of the brooder. In fact, that's what most people do otherwise they will get out. Check my BYC page and you'll see pics of my brooder.

4. HudokFarm

HudokFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Minnesota
    Thanks, Mike. The height is not an issue then?

5. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    I don't think so... at least not know. It might get a little cramped as they grow.

6. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

3ft. is plenty for them. and yes they should already be tryin to fight and fly. all that working out makes them healthy birds and strong roos ;)

7. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    Yes, you should be fine putting something on the top so they can't get out. They can hold out a few weeks until you get them outside ;)

8. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a covered brooder, although I usually let them come out for a while and flap around. But I like watching them fly around, and encourage them to fly onto my arm, or lap. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by