is Dumor (dumour) a good feed brand?

Switching from crumbles to pellets will take some getting used to for your birds but they will adapt.I was in the same situation as you fed dumor for a long time and then switched to Nutrena all flock and am not going back to Dumor.. The dumor is a 30 mile drive for me and the nutrena is a 50 mile drive so one day a couple of months ago when I ran out I bought a bag of dumor till I had time to drive the fifty miles. The dumor in my area has changed, when I opened the bag it smelled like something had already eaten the feed. I made the drive the next day and tossed the dumor. for me at least in this area the all flock is cheaper and my girls do better on it than the dumor I just have a little oyster shell on the side and all is good.l

I was going to email Dumor to tell them their feed sucks, but no company site came up, but this thread did.

For 2 years I fed my ducks and geese the Forever Pals dogfood from the Dollar Store, but they stopped carrying it. So, I switched to Dumor Layer pellets. After a month or so I started to find eggs with no shells. Both goose and duck eggs.

What I liked about Forever Pals dogfood was that it was all grains. It's hard to find a dogfood that is all grains. It's probably not too good for dogs, but it was great for birds.

I've been feeding dumor for 3 years to chickens, turkeys, and ducks. Every once in a while I get Purina from a local feed store. Never had a problem with either. Poop smells like poop to me, i cant tell the difference. During summer, I go through about 15# of feed a day. I am looking for something cheaper. I noticed a lot of responses here saying dumor is expensive. Here a 50# bag is $13, Purina 50 cents less. If dumor is expensive, what is "cheap"?

I've been feeding dumor for 3 years to chickens, turkeys, and ducks. Every once in a while I get Purina from a local feed store. Never had a problem with either. Poop smells like poop to me, i cant tell the difference. During summer, I go through about 15# of feed a day. I am looking for something cheaper. I noticed a lot of responses here saying dumor is expensive. Here a 50# bag is $13, Purina 50 cents less. If dumor is expensive, what is "cheap"?

Do your birds free-range a bit for food or is the dumor the only thing they eat?

It's the same price here, about $12 something plus tax. Purina is more. If Purina were cheaper I would go with that because at least Purina is a real company with customer support. http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/search/poultry feed says dumor is $13 and Purina is $15.

I wish that guy on page 1 hadn't said anything about the poop because now that's all anyone wants to comment about. I think the poop smelled like Red Herring.

Red Herring huh? I'm sticking to just plain poop! :)

My birds are cooped up at night but between my property and my neighbor's property, they have about 50 acres to forage on their own during the day. Obviously during winter when bugs are gone and snow is on the ground, they eat a lot more feed. Right now it is just to supplement what they don't get on their own. Between the chickens, ducks, and turkeys, my flock that i dont sell or butcher is into triple digits.

Red Herring huh? I'm sticking to just plain poop!
smile.png

My birds are cooped up at night but between my property and my neighbor's property, they have about 50 acres to forage on their own during the day. Obviously during winter when bugs are gone and snow is on the ground, they eat a lot more feed. Right now it is just to supplement what they don't get on their own. Between the chickens, ducks, and turkeys, my flock that i dont sell or butcher is into triple digits.

I hate sticking to poop, plain or otherwise :)

I think that solves it. Your birds get much of their own food while mine are in a 100 x 100 cage and most of that is water. I think that makes dumor food suitable for a snack or extra calories to supplement their foraging, but it doesn't seem suitable for exclusive feed even though the bag says "calcium fortified" and "100% complete formula for all laying hens." The directions say to feed it as "the sole ration at approx 18 weeks of age." Maybe I got a bad batch. I'll call the number on the bag tomorrow.

I've used DuMOR for my chickies from day one and they have always done very well. They are out performing my neighbors in laying at the same age and same number of chickens. I've never noticed any more odor than with other foods except when I get carried away with their evening snacks

I read the ingredient labels. Personally we avoid corn, esp. as the main (first) ingredient. Avoid gmo corn and white corn. Would rather use corn free bird seed than Dumor scratch. Chickens can't live off of all this corn starch. My girls deserve better.

I see this is a thread from last year, but the subject periodically comes up from time to time. I have never recommended that brand or TSC. Some TSC stores in particular, for whatever reason, have a bad reputation for moldy feed. In fact, the one time I decided to go against my usual refusal to buy TSC products, I got exactly that, moldy, green feed. Perhaps the smaller bags have less chance to mold, I'm not sure, but the large bags are not something I'd ever buy again. It's too far to return them constantly. And it doesn't smell good to me, either. Smells like Purina feeds, which have a chemical odor, at least to me. Maybe Purina makes Dumor? I can't remember.

And as far as I know, Dumor is still vegetarian feed, not something for birds who are penned 24/7 as they are omnivores and vegetarian feeds do not give the best feather quality or a natural diet, requiring you to supplement it for best results. I do free range my birds, but I buy a 22% layer feed with good porcine animal protein still contained. And, no, they can't get "Mad Chicken Disease" as some ill-informed person snarked at me on my YouTube channel once. Eating meat is natural for a chicken. They'll eat each other if given half a chance. I just fed an ailing hen chopped up rotisserie chicken because she cannot have grain in her condition right now.

Whether birds do well on a feed depends on the breed (heritage stock need more protein, generally, and one reason is they are larger birds than most hatchery stock) and if they are always penned and it is their sole feed or not.

Back
Top Bottom