Is egg binding as common as it seems?

RosemaryDuck

Crowing
Dec 15, 2020
Florida
Hey all! No emergency, just a question. Since I've been on the site (and many years before making an account) I've seen frequent posts about egg bound hens. I'm not sure if it's just because the site has a lot of people, so therefore there's a lot of chickens, but is it a common ailment?

I only saw it twice during my years raising chickens and ducks, so I'm just curious.

Hey all! No emergency, just a question. Since I've been on the site (and many years before making an account) I've seen frequent posts about egg bound hens. I'm not sure if it's just because the site has a lot of people, so therefore there's a lot of chickens, but is it a common ailment?

I only saw it twice during my years raising chickens and ducks, so I'm just curious.
I saw it a few times in my first flock about 20yrs ago. I think it was a dietary/feed issue, perhaps not enough protein and other nutrients. Once we fixed the feed issue it cleared up. They were RIR, silky, dominecker and mixes of the three. If I remember correctly it did seem to happen with the RIR or mixes of the RIR. They laid pretty big eggs...

I saw it a few times in my first flock about 20yrs ago. I think it was a dietary/feed issue, perhaps not enough protein and other nutrients. Once we fixed the feed issue it cleared up. They were RIR, silky, dominecker and mixes of the three. If I remember correctly it did seem to happen with the RIR or mixes of the RIR. They laid pretty big eggs...
The 1 out of the 2 cases I saw in my old flock was a RIR. Curious 🤔.

I'm not sure if it's just because the site has a lot of people, so therefore there's a lot of chickens, but is it a common ailment?
Well, and people come here when they have problems, so you don't hear about the thousands of birds that never get egg bound(along with other ailments/issues).
I've never had an egg bound bird.

To @aart's point, I am relying on anecdotal information that suggests a wider problem. I've noticed a similar trend with Pekin ducks and bumblefoot (and have personally experienced that with a drake), too. Worth considering, I'd say, but hardly a scientific approach. 😁

I have 1 soft (no shell) egg every few weeks in my coop, and figure it's the same chicken. All 9 have the same layer pellet and oyster shell diet, and forage on 5 acres for bugs. Not sure why this happens.

Back
Top Bottom