is feeding lettuce dangerous . . .

Lettuce is great snacking, but absolutely NO nutritional content whatsoever. Just make sure they aren't eating JUST lettuce... Mustard greens, kale, and collard greens, spinach.... MUCH better for them :)

Lettuce is great snacking, but absolutely NO nutritional content whatsoever.

It has low (not no) nutritional value due to the fact it's about 96% water, the remaining 4% solid matter is loaded with vitamins, minerals and about 20% protein but few calories... This applies to both common iceburg and romaine lettuces...

What about old romaine lettuce ? I threw some away and they got it. The top wasn't bad but they bottom of the bag was slimy they left that alone?

It's fine as a treat as long as the birds have sufficient access to grit to help digest it... It should not be a large part of their diet since it's mostly water and thus will fill them up quickly but provide only a very limited amount of nutrition for that full 'tummy' of food...

During the winter months my birds adore fresh greens, they will eat the greens before many of their other treats...

Good thanks ! All treats are only occasionally and they are all doing great. Was worried because my dog tipped trash can over and it was a free for all!
1f601.png

local feed-store lady told me all lettuce must be chopped up to prevent crop problems - is this true? I've been giving my girls mixed spring greens (like mesclun) for the last few days but I was just giving them essentially a big bowl of salad. I don't want to make them sick! They do have grit and are outside with lots of dirt to peck around in. The only other thing they're eating is grower crumbles, and I treat them with oatmeal and yogurt in the morning.
I feed my girls greens all the time, but beware of the tougher varieties, like kale. I almost lost one my girls last fall to sour/impacted crop because I let them eat the stems. When the blockage finally cleared, it was several balls of fibrous material. Now I just feed them the softer greens.

By the way, this site helped me to save my hen! So grateful!

Back
Top Bottom