Is fermented food better for chickens?

mrl8810

Songster
Jun 26, 2019
I’ve had chickens for a few years now and have always just fed the chicken food from the bag…lately I’ve been seeing videos and such about fermenting the food. It’s supposed to be better for the chickens to ferment the food? Better for the digestive system? Can anyone tell me your experiences with it? I have fully grown standard chickens, bantams and chicks. Thanks I’m advanced.

I don’t ferment. It’s more work. And you need to do it right to avoid spoiled feed.
Some acid like apple cider vinegar is good for the chickens health. I do add that in one of the water bottles.

I do make mash, the chick pellets I have are too big for my little chicks and the hens love it too.

I’ve had chickens for a few years now and have always just fed the chicken food from the bag…lately I’ve been seeing videos and such about fermenting the food. It’s supposed to be better for the chickens to ferment the food? Better for the digestive system? Can anyone tell me your experiences with it? I have fully grown standard chickens, bantams and chicks. Thanks I’m advanced.
you might find this interesting, found by Jenjens
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...study-on-fermented-feed.1428955/post-23536731

I believe when you ferment food you can feed less of it, I’ve always fermented for chicks because I believe it gives them an awesome start, I think it’s worth the extra effort to have happier, healthier chickens in the long run, plus save on feed costs by feeding less!

Call it "fermented" if you want, but I call it ~ I added water. I don't store it or do it overnight, I just add water to feed in shallow dishes (planter trays.) Whether it's chicks or adults, it's helpful for not wasting feed and they all seem to prefer it to dry.

Back
Top Bottom