Is food and water necessary over night?

Ranger3

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 22, 2013
I have a small hen house and only 4 chickens. I hate to take up space for food and water in their house if they are just sleeping anyway. When I let them out in the morning they go to the feed right away, but don't seem to be harmed by not having it overnight. They still all sleep together in the next box instead of on their perch, kind of sweet to see. Am I stressing them by not always having food and water available?

I used to put my chickens water in the coop every single night and then I would have to take it back out again in the morning. It's a hassle!! No they do not need food and water in there at night. We wait until breakfast, so they can too!

They do just fine overnite with out food and water:) Like you said they are sleeping and in their" chicken coma " state:) As long as you are letting them out each day at a decent time frame.. All should be great:)

How about if you're using supplemental lighting in the coop during the winter to encourage regular laying? Will the extra lighting keep them wanting to eat/drink in the coop?

I never remove water from them, ever, personally. Chickens are huge water consumers and they do get off the roost to drink at night sometimes.
I know because I hear them over the baby monitor. I do not supplement light and never plan to start after losing so many to reproductive issues-they do need periodic slowdowns and breaks, especially the hatchery hens, who are very prone to egg yolk peritonitis and internal laying, both of which can be fatal. Even with no extra light other than a dim nightlight, they get off and drink, though I usually raise the feeders so they don't eat during the night.

It never occurred to me that they might drink at night. I haven't had a waterer in any of the coops for some time. There is no light at night and I just figured since they don't see well in the dark they didn't need water at night.

I do use both the trough type waterers and nipple waterers at the same time in the runs. They seem to prefer the trough types but they are messy.

I have 5 gallon buckets with nipples and this reduces my worry that they might run out of water. Heated for the winter.

Now I need to figure out how to provide it in the coop. I do hear them crowing at 4:30 am so they are awake most of the day I suppose.

I keep two small trays of food and a gallon-sized waterer in the coop. We have about thirty chickens. We don't always get out at the crack of dawn to let them into the yard even though they're up then. That way they have access to breakfast should everyone in the house sleep in a bit.

Thank you all for your posts! Great ideas from experienced folks; I appreciate it! We will be building a bigger hen house, but for now I think they will be ok.

I have gotten into the habit of letting the pullets in a couple of hours before dusk, and I feed and water them. I come back at dusk, turn the lights off and I leave the water and feed that I set up a couple of hours earlier. Every morning there is some food and water that is missing from the feeders. Despite their protests when the lights go out, they absolutely eat and drink...at least mine do. Since the food and water is already there, I just leave it. I doubt though that anything deleterious would happen if I didn't do that and in fact when the hubby is responsible for them, he never leaves them with food (but they always have water). They make it just fine (though they are frenzied by morning).

Back
Top Bottom