is grass important for chickens?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by camocoop, Jun 1, 2011.

1. camocoop

camocoop New Egg

Jun 1, 2011
    i recently built a chicken coop and all the grass that was there has been eaten and demolished is it important for chickens to have grass to eat?

2. Smittenroade

Smittenroade Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    North East Texas
    no

3. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Quote:really?? I was of the impressin its very good for them and cheap as greens cost a fortune these days. course grass clippings are good to over the fence LOL,

4. camocoop

camocoop New Egg

Jun 1, 2011
    Thank you

5. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    It is essential for me that my chickens have grass. They are happier and the egg yolks are darker/ since free range chickens have more nurtrious eggs with less cholesteral, grass and other green plants have a part in that. Due to predators my chickens have very limited free ranging. I feed them kitchen and garden scraps, weeds from the garden and flower beds etc, green material but a variety. They seem to enjoy this and if there is something they don't want to eat, they just turn it into wonderful compost.

Some folks plant raised beds covered with hardware cloth or other small wire and plant greens or grass. Supposedly the chickens don't obliterate the whole crop because they can only eat what they can reach thru the wire.

However Smittenroade is correct. Some commercially raised chickens never see grass.

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

As long as they are on a formulated feed, they do not NEED grass. But it sure makes their lives more enjoyable. So as often as you can, provide them greens of some sort, even fresh grass clippings.

7. Smittenroade

Smittenroade Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    North East Texas
    Quote:really?? I was of the impressin its very good for them and cheap as greens cost a fortune these days. course grass clippings are good to over the fence LOL,

I was just answering the question that it's not important. Makes them more healthy, but I doubt you would really tell the difference...It's really greens including weeds and stuff, not just grass. You could substitute lettuce, broccoli...Ya know, leafy green veggies probably more nutritional quality in those.

8. pnuts

pnuts Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    they are still happier than any factory farmed chicken no doubt:)

9. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    It is absolutely not essential.

However, my chooks have access to a large amount and they have the most orange yolked eggs ever....full of carotenoids and flavenoids....extra good for us to eat!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by