Is gravel too bad for their feet?

chikadee15

In the Brooder
Nov 13, 2020
Monterey Bay, California
Hi, all! I have beed trying to find out if the gravel that's on part of my run will hurt my chickens feet overtime. My coop area is 1/3 sand, 1/3 cement and 1/3 gravel (it was already there and it's great for drainage. I keep wondering if on the long run the gravel will end up hurting their feet or if they will e fine since they are not on it the whole time. Anyone has gravel in their run?

Cheers!

Hi, all! I have beed trying to find out if the gravel that's on part of my run will hurt my chickens feet overtime. My coop area is 1/3 sand, 1/3 cement and 1/3 gravel (it was already there and it's great for drainage. I keep wondering if on the long run the gravel will end up hurting their feet or if they will e fine since they are not on it the whole time. Anyone has gravel in their run?

Cheers!
Gravel can aggravate or cause tears on the pads of the toes and could result in bumblefoot.

When my flock free ranges they walk on my gravel driveway. They don't spend all day on it, but they will walk around on it to get to the three parts of the yard. They will also eat the littler pieces for their grit outside of the grit provided in their run.

Cheers!
Gravel not good for a run...not only the possibility of foot injuries that might become infected(bumblefoot), but it will become saturated with poop and reek.

Some pics of your run might help us understand....and how many bird you have......and.....

Welcome to BYC! @chikadee15
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1605370524795.png

Thank you, @aart, good call! Just added my location ;)

Ugh I may have to end up changing the ground cover on that part of my run. It sort of was already there... what do you all think of round gravel? Like river stones?

As for the reek, I do hose it all down and, after it dries, sprinkle some zeolite which helps keep things dry and flies at bay, so it's not so bad. I'll add a picture here soon. :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom