Is hatching with an incubator only for the experienced? Can anyone do?

crazy4eggsJulie

Songster
10 Years
Mar 15, 2009
Hello,

want to start a small backyard flock
-know NOTHING about incubators

I can't find the chicks that I want so I am considering buying an incubator and ordering fertile eggs from eggbid and ebay.

Has anyone done this? Is it difficult? I have no idea what I am doing and don't want to waste the money if it is an "art" that only experienced individuals can do correctly. The posts about humidity levels got me worried...Can just anyone hatch out baby chicks?

Thanks for any help!

Anyone can use an incubator. The kind you decide to get tho can make a big difference.

Before you spend big bucks on eggs from ebay, eggbid...or an even better place to buy them from is here on BYC
wink.png
...try and get some local eggs to learn the basics of incubating. Shipped eggs come with their own set of issues that can make it challenging sometimes.

Its not hard! It does take some dedication but other than that its easy. I had never hatched before, I built my own incubator using Miss_prissy's plans (here on BYC), she gives step by step directions, with pics. I had 100% hatch rate with it (bantam barred rocks). I am presently using it now for 6 little bantam cochin eggs, and I've built a larger one that is holding 10 bbs orpinton eggs (from Ms_Prissy) and 6 silkie eggs (from must be crazy). I purchased my eggs here from BYC members and have not had one problem! The sellers were great, packed the eggs perfectly, they sent extra eggs for assurance and they shipped them in a timely manner. The learning section here on BYC is a wonderful tool to help you get started and will answer many of your questions. I say go for it and check out the buy, sell and trade sections for eggs and birds. Oh and Welcome to BYC!

There is a "first time" for everything! Don't be afraid of giving it a try! There is only one thing that I would caution you about... it is addictive and as far as I know there has never been anyone cured of "hatchitis"... smiles. Welcome to BYC!

welcome-byc.gif
I am a first-timer and I used Miss Prissy's incubator instructions to BUILD my first bator and I am currently on my 3rd hatch!
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

I've had chickens before, but never chicks. The youngst I've ever had before were 6 weeks old and didn't need anything special.

I want to start ordering some eggs from some people here, so I built my own incubator and brooder from info on this site! If you don't research anywhere else but here, you'll have enough info to hatch, brood, and house/ raise your chickens.

Chickens don't have to be complicated, just relax and enjoy them. They'll drive you crazy enough later
big_smile.png

The first time I incubated, I had a 95% hatch rate! It's all in doing the research before hand.

And BYC is always here to help!

Add me to the list of people who had never done it, built my own, and had a hatch. My 2nd set of eggs are being sent today!!
woot.gif

I had never even had chickens before I started this. I didn't get 100% hatch (ok, not even close) but I tried. I'm crossing my fingers for a much better rate this time!!
fl.gif
:fl

Bil

crazy4eggsJulie....I'm new at all this too. I'm gonna give it a shot and see what happens. Good luck to you!!

Back
Top Bottom