Is he/ she a rooster or a hen?

Maryb

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 29, 2010
Maui Hawaii
I ordered the rainbow variety from Murray McMurray so I'm not even sure of the breed. As chicks they were yellow. But now Im wondering if this one is a rooster. They are 14 weeks old.

H

Stance looks pulletish, I think, and I don't think I'm seeing curled tail feathers or hackle/saddle feathers. Could you get a picture of it's back?
I'm not expert by any stretch, but it looks like a White Rock to me :)

Could you post a side profile? That's a lot of comb and wattle for the age, so I'm thinking rooster.

It's looking a little ROOish to me....I agree, if you can post a couple other pics from the side as well? The flash kind of drowns out the back feathers, looks like the saddle feathers might be a bit thinner and pointy? But really hard to see just from that....

He looks like a rooster in these pictures. I hope not. He's not making noise. But if he does I'll have to find him a new home, so sad
1f622.png

The white bird is a rooster.

Hate to say it, but you might want to get a good profile pic of your dark Cornish (dark colored bird facing away from the camera in the second picture). I'm getting a roo-vibe from it, too. They have pea combs so you don't always see the comb difference right off, but the color and stance and making me think male, as well as possibly seeing saddle feathers in that first pic.

Other than that, everyone else looks female.

Last edited:
The new photos have confirmed my original thinking- that white bird is a cockerel. I agree with Donrae in that the Dark Cornish also looks like a possible cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom