Is her gasping and noise a symptom of the impacted crop?

Chopper923

Songster
May 7, 2023
WI
This little girl has an impacted crop. I have given her coconut oil and massaged her crop multiple times. She is drinking water with olive oil. She pecked at some scrambled eggs today, and i actually made her a slurry of chick feed, water, raw egg, and olive oil. She's not real interested in that. I will include a link of her making a barking/honking sound because i do not know if there is another health issue going on, or if this is a symptom of her impacted crop. The picture is of her poop from this morning. Thank you in advance for any guidance!

Attachments

• 20230706_085657.jpg
    20230706_085657.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 118
Any bloat in the abdomen?
Do you feel anything that feels like air under the skin around her air sacs?

What's her crop like?

If her crop is not emptying, then I'd begin treating that symptom, I'd also treat for Coccidiosis. If you have SMZ-TMP, I'd use that instead of Corid, but if Corid is what you have on hand, then I'd use that.

Coconut oil chunks would be better than olive oil. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Do you have respiratory illness like Mycoplasma in your flock?

What's her crop like?

If her crop is not emptying, then I'd begin treating that symptom, I'd also treat for Coccidiosis. If you have SMZ-TMP, I'd use that instead of Corid, but if Corid is what you have on hand, then I'd use that.

Coconut oil chunks would be better than olive oil. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

So, first off, I have to apologize for starting this thread. I have a post going from one of my hens who has since improved, but I continued that post with this young one because I have multiple issues, and I'm not sure if they are all related. I got nervous when I hadn't had any replies, so I thought maybe I needed to start a new thread. So far, I've been treating her for impacted crop, which has improved significantly!! She gobbled up the coconut oil this morning, and I've massaged her crop. I will administer another stool softener in a bit, and i will add in a probiotic. I did add a little bit of olive oil to her fresh water this morning, and she got a dose of Safeguard last night. I will continue a light mushy diet for today and see what happens. Thank you for sharing the post about sour crop and impacted crop. Those are articles that I'vebookmarked, and they have been SO HELPFUL!!

I do not know anything about Mycoplasma, but I will look it up in a bit. I did treat them with Corid about a month or so ago. What points you in that direction? I am just trying to understand symptoms and what to look for so i can be more proactive.

Yes, I've got my hands full here with multiple health issues, and again, I am not sure if there is any relation to the ailments that my chickens are experiencing. I am fairly new to this site, so I am so if my 2 posts cause confusion. I just was feeling kind of desperate since I felt like this one wasn't going to make it thru the day.

Thank you so much for your response! Any suggestions are welcomed! ❤️

What's her crop like?

I got results back after sending a bird in for necropsy (her sister, who showed NO symptoms, and we found her dead in the run)...I had to come back here and re-read your response because I thought you had mentioned a couple of things similar to the findings. She tested positive for MS and MG, and the doctor from the lab suggested treating all for Coccidiosis - just as you said. I had forgotten all about re-treating with Corid. 😖 I just wanted to mention how much your knowledge and insight is appreciated. Again. ❤️

Last edited:
Covid will treat Coccidiosis but not the MG or MS: Tylosin or Tetracycline will help but not cure. They will remain carriers, hence the start of a closed flock.
Did the Vet say she had Coccidiosis? Or was it recommended treatment?

mg disease in chickens
what is ms in chickens
treatment for mg in chickens
She did say that there were signs that Coccidiosis were present, but i cannot remember exactly what they were. She was so good with explaining what was found, but it was a lot of info! I will be getting a final report within a week, and in the meantime, we will start treating our flock. Thank you for your response!!

I got results back after sending a bird in for necropsy (her sister, who showed NO symptoms, and we found her dead in the run)...I had to come back here and re-read your response because I thought you had mentioned a couple of things similar to the findings. She tested positive for MS and MG, and the doctor from the lab suggested treating all for Coccidiosis - just as you said. I had forgotten all about re-treating with Corid. 😖 I just wanted to mention how much your knowledge and insight is appreciated. Again. ❤️
I'm glad you were able to get some testing.

Hopefully you can begin treatment(s) and get on top of this.

Back
Top Bottom