Is her wing broken 4 week pictures

Rose Quartz

Enabler
6 Years
Mar 18, 2018
East Hants N.S. Canada
This is the underside of her not injured wing
20190825_151356.jpg

And the underside of her hurt side. The upper arm part is very swollen and red.
20190825_151456.jpg

There's also an injury on the front of her shoulder. I put betadine on the open wound before i took the picture i didnt even notice she had a cut at first just that her wing was being held down.
20190825_151436.jpg

And this is a closer pic of the cut.
20190825_151443.jpg

I'm not sure how to treat broken bones. I have another chick with an injured leg it looks bruised and cut. I'm going to house these 2 together away from the rest until they're better.

Any suggestions on what i can do for this ones wing? Like a sling or something?

Last edited:
It looks like it's bruised and sore, that's why she's holding it down.
Flush the wound well with saline or betadine, trim the feathers away from the wound so you can get a good look at it and it will be easier to tend to/monitor as well. Apply triple antibiotic ointment to the wound. (once you clean the wound and trim the feathers, repost some more photos)
I would not wrap the wing.

If you have photos of the other injured chick's leg that would be good.

Any idea how either one was injured?

It looks like it's bruised and sore, that's why she's holding it down.
Flush the wound well with saline or betadine, trim the feathers away from the wound so you can get a good look at it and it will be easier to tend to/monitor as well. Apply triple antibiotic ointment to the wound. (once you clean the wound and trim the feathers, repost some more photos)
I would not wrap the wing.

If you have photos of the other injured chick's leg that would be good.

Any idea how either one was injured?
I had to go away from home until later, but i'll try to get more pictures when i can. I know this one was caught by a cat over a week ago but i checked her over then and she was fine. I have since moved my 4 week olds in with my 13 week old chickens. Because that pen is larger and the babies stay in all day with the big ones going out. When they're inside, the older ones just ignore the chicks, at least when im there watching. But that doesnt mean they're like that all the time.

It's a 16x21 sqft building. There are 8 large fowl 13 week olds. 4 13 week old bantams that are the same size as the 4 week olds, and 22, 4 week olds. I have brush in the pen too so the babies have a place to hide. 3 different feed buckets and 2 waterers. On opposite sides of the pen.

If something got in the pen with the babies i can't imagine why it wouldnt have killed any of them.

I finally got a chance to get this guy in to take pictures. It's looking better since earlier when i treated the cuts. His foot was a lot darker green earlier. It's still discolored but not as dark.

There's a cut in the bottom of his foot and several around his leg too. I havent done more with the other chick yet she had a really hard time when i was checking her over earlier and im going to leave her alone for tonight.

This guy is able to stand on his own, but to walk he's flapping his wings instead of putting weight on his left foot.

20190825_222457.jpg
20190825_221635.jpg
20190825_221537.jpg
20190825_221609.jpg
20190825_221627.jpg

I'm sorry the little on is not doing well. Is she breathing o.k.? Able to eat/drink?

The one with the injured foot, I think I would soak that daily in epsom salts to help with healing. Hopefully it will heal no problem. The worry would be infection since chickens step in poop (no matter how clean you try to keep it), this can introduce bacteria into the cut.

I'm sorry the little on is not doing well. Is she breathing o.k.? Able to eat/drink?

The one with the injured foot, I think I would soak that daily in epsom salts to help with healing. Hopefully it will heal no problem. The worry would be infection since chickens step in poop (no matter how clean you try to keep it), this can introduce bacteria into the cut.
Yesterday evening after i had her inside she sat in a corner panting and in and out of sleep. She seemed ok after dark but she wasnt really up since it was night time.

I moved the 2 injured ones to a cleaner coop with just the 2 of them so less poop. I was planning to clean it every day. Hopefullythat will keep it from getting infected.

Thanks for your help. :D

Found the problem. I locked the chicks inside after letting the big ones out this morning. Heard screeching when i took the compost out. There was a rat trying to drag a chick under a platform i have their feed on. Chicks alive but has a similar wing injury.
OhBoy...that's a much bigger problem than one injured chick

I know this one was caught by a cat over a week ago but i checked her over then and she was fine.
CAT! Antibiotics pronto please. Chickens are particularly susceptible to the germs that cats carry on their teeth and talons, and both tooth and nail are sharp as needles, can bury their germs deep and unless the flesh is actually torn, nearly impossible to find the injuries. The sooner the better to get the antibiotics onboard.

Back
Top Bottom