Is His Coat Too Big?

Thanks mom'sfolly!
wink.png

A lady at the barn will get a chair and just watch him run. She says it's like looking at the rays of God shining on him! lol! A little creepy, but no real harm! lol

I still can't believe he's really back and I feel complete having him back. Such a nice thing to know that he's gonna be there waiting for me to come and see him.

Boy!!! He sure is a big boy.

I thought it looked a bit snug in the shoulder (just above the leg). If it rubs there, he will get a little bald spot.

I would only use it if it gets below freezing and not leave it on all the time. Horses do grow a heavy coat as the days get shorter and not when it gets colder. Their hair will stand up to keep them warm. I wouldn't leave it on him if he is stalled at night either.

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliments everyone!
big_smile.png
Yes...he's big but he's just a big ole puppy dog. I never thought he really looked like an Appy but there are some definite characteristics that are coming up that I'm noticing that's different than a QH acts and looks like. Mainly his eyes. There's an Appy pony (the one in the last photo) that has the same eyes as he does. Her hooves are striped but his aren't..go figure? lol

With the shoulder snugness, is it possible that it's because I didn't really have the front end snapped all the way to the loosest possible? I just put it on to get a general idea of how it was gonna be. I put it on the last hole to get a good snug fit.

I walked him around outside in it and sure enough, every horse on the place comes running up to get a good look at it. I won't be using it until it gets GOOD and cold. It's supposed to get around 35* tonight. I was gonna use it tonight, but decided to see how he does. When we're expecting rain along with cold is probably when I'll be using it most.

It looks like more of a Euro fit rather than made for QHs and Appys, but it fits him well enough to wear occasionally.
smile.png
He looks like a big sweet puppy dog!

Quote:
A horse that is narrower and lighter-built in the shoulders and front end, and higher-set neck (ties into shoulders and chest higher, I mean, irrespective of withers or head carriage)

You know how different brands of jeans fit different shapes of bodies? Horse clothing is the same way.

If you loosen the front buckles to a 'bigger' hole, the blanket will most likely fit *tighter* in the shoulders not looser, because it will jam further back on them. You can pull it forward so it doesn't but that will last about two seconds once he starts moving. It's like jeans, really it is... once the wearer is moving around, they find their own fit so to speak, and that fit depends on their cut, and different brands have different cuts.

You can probably USE that blanket for him, it does not fit so problematically as to likely make him sore (as a *really bad* fitting blanket can), all I'm saying is, there's a good chance that if he wears it regularly he is going to start rubbing at the points of the shoulders so you will want to keep an eye on it.

Pat

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom