Is housing different generations coturnix together ok?

Yes, as long as they are the same size and breeding and you play the "switch a roo and a hen or two" game.

People have their own rules to this game, but here is how I play.

I figure out which birds I want to mix together, then put them together in a pen that is new to all of the birds. It should reset their pecking order. Other things that will also help is a different feeder,water, dustpan etc... The more confused you can make them, the less likely they will be to beat up on each other.
I usually make the switch at night.
Don't worry, coturnix are lovers of perpetual sameness and it doesn't take much to confuse them. The down side is you may get punished with no eggs for a while, but it beats having one group of birds beat the stuffing out of the new birds.

Last edited:
Same question, but with very young button quails. Can I house 1 day to 1 month together.

Robert

Quote:
At one month they are almost mature, and will be quite large compared to the day olds and won't require the same heat that the day olds do. I would not house them together until they are all mature.

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Quote:
At one month they are almost mature, and will be quite large compared to the day olds and won't require the same heat that the day olds do. I would not house them together until they are all mature.

I agree. The one month olds will pick on the day olds and you will lose quite a few. They will get picked at and squashed by the older ones. I found this out the hard way....​

Back
Top Bottom