Is in normal for broodys to flog you? I mean beat the tar out of you!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CrazyChickensEverwhere, Jun 10, 2011.

1. CrazyChickensEverwhere

CrazyChickensEverwhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    my broody was fine when her chicks were not hatched yet, but now that they hatched and there 3 days old, if I walk near her she will flog me! I have cuts all over me from her. if shes in front of the coop door I have to get a stick just to make sure im safe ( I don't hit her with it) I swing and it scares her away from me! she beats on my dogs, EVERYTHING... shes my new bully [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  2. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    broodies are paraniod birds who'll even attack people they know to protect thier chicks... the species probably wouldn't have survived if they weren't lol

3. CrazyChickensEverwhere

CrazyChickensEverwhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    oh ok. I thought she was over reacting with her chicks, I was on the verg on taking them away. Just if its normal i'll let her go back to her buisness.

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Yep, a new mom will do anything to protect her new babies.

5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    I have one hen we've renamed "Grumpy". She was a mean broody. Would peck us when we checked eggs, but that I can understand. Once the eggs hatched she became vicious. One day we needed to refill the waterer and feeder. She flew out the door at me when I opened it tearing a large hole in my hand before scratching my son from neck to knee with one toe.

Since then we've either used an incubator or a calmer broody.

6. solitude

solitude Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2011
    Wow!!!

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    They can be very protective even of their eggs. Mine would puff up at me, growl and peck at me when sitting on their nests. Now I use an incubator.

Edited to add: I agree with gritsar and don't see a protective broody as a bad thing.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I don't see a very protective broody as a bad thing. [​IMG] You can rest assured she'll take good care of her babies. No one can teach a chick "chicken smarts" like a broody can.

I have two incubators. They are dusty. Love my broodies! but don't tell them I said that. I don't need anymore chicks right now. [​IMG]

9. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    My broodys aren't as vigorous as that about it, but they do protect their babies from me! I just wish all three weren't broody right now [​IMG]

10. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

In my opinion, that would be a GREAT broody. Perhaps not for yourself, but anything else out there that wants to mess with the babies. My best broody is very growly so she scares off curious chooks, but at the end of the day, she doesn't have the nerve to give bite, and not just bark.

Give Mama a gold star! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by